Tuesday, August 23, 2005

It's just another day

Ok, so some of you read my little pre-birthday rant last week... I thought I'd post a follow-up.

Many thanks to my friend Base, who pointed out that a birthday is just another day, and we should celebrate every day. I appreciated your "birthday plus one" greeting very much. :)

I got a birthday card 2 days early from my mom with a check in it. That's a first. Mom's getting up there in years and the check usually comes a week late, with a call on my birthday telling me she didn't get it out on time but it's on the way so she really didn't forget me. If there's one thing mom is, it's consistent. Except this year.

From my mother-in-law, I was promised a card this week. But that's fine, she never forgets birthdays, she's just short on money. And it's the thought that counts, right? The one thing I can always count on with her is that she will get a serious card and she will underline words for emphasis. Words being plural. Actually... there are seldom words she omits underlining. I guess with her, every word really does count.

My kids said happy birthday. I guess that's not too bad, as kids go. But my daughter usually makes everyone a card. I didn't get a card. I wonder why. Knowing her, I'll get a card the next time I get a back spasm or a headache though, so that's ok. Sometimes the ones on the days you don't expect them are the most meaningful anyway. :)

My friend Buddha Girl sent me a naked online card. Ok it was more than just naked. It was fucking naked. Yes, literally. But she knew I'd appreciate it. And the girl in the pic was hot too. If Buddha Girl won't go bi, at least she sends me drool material. She's great that way. Thanks girlfriend! :P~

Another really good friend caught me online and asked if it was ok to call... and sang me "Happy Birthday" over the phone. Now if you knew this person, you'd be as shocked as I was at getting a song for my birthday. It made my day. Really. See? I'm not so hard to please. :)

And the husband? Well... he told me he was going to get me one of those kneeling computer chairs for my birthday. That's great, because I have some back problems and I know it would be good for me. Plus I had it on a list of gift suggestions sitting around on my desktop, so he knew he was getting something I wanted. Only then last night he told me I could order one.

Wait one fucking minute here!!! Who could order one? (Good, I'm glad that one hit you too.)

I told him, "Nope." He was like... huh? Don't you want one? So I let him know that sure, it would be great, but if I buy myself something it's not going to be a computer chair. And if I buy it for myself, it does NOT count as his gift to me.

Last Christmas I quit doing his dirty work for him. I used to buy myself a bunch of stuff I wanted at Christmas time, and then he'd let the kids choose things to give me, and I'd pretend I didn't know what I was getting. NO MORE. I decided if I buy myself shit, it's from me.

And I don't buy shit. I have pretty damn good taste, thank you very much. In fact, I think I will go order myself that bikini from Victoria's Secret that I heard I was going to get myself for my birthday. Maybe I'll even surprise myself with the matching coverup silk skirt. It's pretty hot. Just ask Buddha Girl.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday

My back's sore from coaching football. I'd like to know how you like the kneeling chair when you finally order it. ;)

Myssa said...

I wanna see I wanna seeeeee! :)

Zephyr said...

hahahaha Horsn, I will NOT order it. Especially since he said I could. I don't need permission to buy things, dammit. Who does he think pays the bills around here?

LOL you did you did you did Myssa! :)

Anonymous said...

Kneeling chair?

Hmmmmm . . . contri idea ;)

So should I have it shipped, or deliver it myself?

mal said...

I had my 51st last week,,ending up telling my daughters what I did for my 21st...not sure that was very smart!

Get the bikini!!! you got it, flaunt it!

Saucy Monk said...

How come no one sends me naked birthday cards? Especially, when you say, everyday is a day to celebrate. Hell, i should be getting naked birthday cards EVERYDAY. Life's not fair.

Mouthy Girl said...

*preening* I'm oh so glad that the nudie card was such a hit. Somehow I knew it would be appreciated by my Top of the List If I Ever Go Bi Friend.

Saucy Boy...who knows....tomorrow may be your lucky day!

Zephyr said...

Rev, what kind of stupid question is that? Deliver it, of course. Heck, if you did I might even let you take the pics! (Ok, so what's the idea?)

Mallory, I'm sure you'll find out in a few years if it was a good idea or not! LOL I try to NOT give my kids more ideas than they already have. As for flaunting it... hehe... I do that plenty already. ;)

So Saucy Monk... is life more fair yet? :D

Buddha Girl... of course you knew.... but I had to tell everyone else out there too. :)

Myssa said...

I did I did I did!
And it's hot! hot! hot!

Did you order it yet? :P

Oh and I can be a brat right back...Update your blog already, forget working!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

I feel badly for you.

Happy Birthday. I forgot your birthday, because I didn't know when it was.

----

To commiserate, my wife and kids forgot my birthday for the last two years...

hmmm (further thought)

"And the husband? Well... he told me he was going to get me one of those kneeling computer chairs for my birthday. That's great, because I have some back problems and I know it would be good for me. Plus I had it on a list of gift suggestions sitting around on my desktop, so he knew he was getting something I wanted. Only then last night he told me I could order one."

Sounds familiar - you're husband may have genetic material or psychic space in common with my wife.

Last Christmas season, my wife had been extremely regularly saying she wanted power tools for over 8 months.

Being the swift guy I am, I took this as a hint

So, 2 days before christmas I said something to the effect of "Well, i'm off to pick up the most interesting of the power tools" (I hadn't mentioned my gift purchase prior to that, but she had made some reference to me buying power tools [I wanted to show I was an attentive and responsive mate/male/husband]).

My dear wife then said (with a hurt tone in her voice) "You mean you didn't get me a leather coat?"

I said "Oh. I thought you wanted power tools."

She said "Well, that's OK, I suppose."

I left. I returned all the power tools. I bought a full length insulated (she always feels cold) leather coat - a REALLY nice one - full price (didn't have 6 months to shop around for a bargain).

It was a hit. I couldn't afford it, but I knew it needed to be as good or better than the ones her sisters had.

I also bought other clothing items, and a plethora of gifts with/for the kids to give her.

As for me, I got a sweater that she had puchased from a designer discount store (I saw it there one time while standing around waiting - she had asked me if I liked it) - $25.

My daughter gave me a hand drawn card - it is still on my bulletin board. My son felt bad he hadn't thought of getting me a gift. Mrs. didn't seem to notice about the kid gifts.

Come spring, it was nearing our anniversary. The winter insulated coat was now too warm - I heard about this a lot.

Another expensive spring/summer weight leather coat later my anniversary giift was an astounding success (price only mentioned, because while I am doing decently financially, I am not rich. With kids/lessons $700-$1000 is still a chunk of change that requires thought before shelling out).

Mrs. also loved the kids gifts (reminders and shopping trip for the kids courtesy of yours truly).

I got a shirt from the same discount designer shop ($20). Did I mention that my wife makes about 10% more than me? We split household bills equally. She has no car payment, I do.

My daughter made me another card. I pre-emptively told my son it was OK.

My birthday is this weekend.

We'll see.

----

posted by:

An online friend/acquaintance/fan of yours, who wandered here from your VW profile, and who is too embarrassed to sign the spew I just wrote... but not prepared to just let the electrons spin away into the ether, because I have been thinking about my birthday(s) as I arrived here, and because I hadn't reflected much on how I felt about it.

Who am I? Think chocolate and turtlenecks...

Zephyr said...

You can't force inspiration, Myssa. ya brat! :P

Anon... "Turtlenecks" makes it a giveaway. :) Hope you find someone to sing you happy birthday or send you that nudie e-card. If you're like me, you have learned to enjoy the little things. May you receive many little things.

Myssa said...

Oooh happy bday you British-Company-Chocolate-Turtlenecky-guy!:)

Ooooh...Methinks that you'll need to check my vw/picture blog this weekend for a birthday special :) I have a photographer at my disposal now! And all my clothes hanging up! :)

cadbury_vw said...

> kneeling computer chairs for my birthday.
> That's great, because I have some back problems and I know it would be good for me.

if you haven't tried one for an extended period, try it first

my friend had one because of his back injury (he was a skinny guy) and it didn't do anything for him

he liked his multi adjusting chair much better (i tried the "ergonmic kneeeling chair too and didn't care for it)

he would adjust it into about 8 positions and extra pressing spots every day and it suited him better

being a computer/tech person myself i know what sitting for 8 - 14 hours straight programming can do

since my car accident i just get up and walk every hour (or more often) to make sure i change positions