Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Go Ahead... Make My Day

Words have an amazing ability to tear down or to build up. And we each have the choice as to which option to use.

I've always been somewhat insecure, but in a way that seems unusual to me. I like who I am. I am mostly happy with my looks, and I feel like there are a lot of things that I can do very well. However I've always felt that other people don't see me the way I see myself.

I love music, particularly singing. However, tenor is not seen as the appropriate vocal range for a female to sing, so I've generally been pushed to sing alto which I just can't do well. Because of that, I quit choir in college after only one year. No one seemed to mind too much. I was never the one in my family who was noted for her musical ability. I didn't get the solos or ensembles in choir because the guys always got the tenor parts. So I found myself wondering if I really had any singing ability.

A few weeks ago I was sitting next to someone I had never met before during my coworker's funeral service. My coworker had loved music, so singing was a large part of this service. And after the service, the man next to me turned and commented, "If I ever find myself needing a good tenor, I might have to call you."

Wow. Is that affirmation or what? This man was someone who had started a very well-known choral music group in our area and he thought I was good enough. Maybe I'll join choir again after all.

It's easy to be insecure about our looks. Even though I like how I look, I was always the unnoticed one. It's funny how those old teenage fears and insecurities stick with us our entire lives! But lately I've been getting more affirmation, and not just when I post erotic pics.

Sunday afternoon I took my daughter shopping for some clothes (she hates wearing her brothers' hand-me-downs!) While I watched her happily browsing the cool jeans, an older man who was waiting for his wife & granddaughter asked me, "Has anyone told you that you're very good-looking?"

How do you answer something like that without sounding like you're stuck up??? I'm really not, and I hate sounding like I am! So I smiled widely and replied something like, "A few times, but it's always great to hear it again."

And just yesterday a friend commented to me, "Good gawd, you're a good looking woman."

Keep it up... I may be able to get rid of those insecurities yet!

How many of us have had those tech support calls from hell? You know the kind... where the person "helping" you knows less than you know, and simply reads from a list to tell you what to do without even listening to you?

The last time I called Dell, I spoke to Jim. I had a very enjoyable hour of conversation and work on my computer. Yes, really. Jim knew what he was doing. When I stumped him, he checked with other people, and he admitted it. He looked where I told him to look so he would know what I was referring to. He made reasonable suggestions rather than telling me to re-do the same things that had been done many times.

At one point he sent me an email. At the end of the call, I asked him for his full name and where the email would go if I replied to it. In a nervous tone he answered that it would go to his boss. Then I told him, "Good. I want to email to let them know what a good job you did." He was thrilled at the compliment, and gave me his full name and his rep ID number to refer to. I think I made his day!

About month ago we went to The Outback Steakhouse for my birthday. (Yes, this was part of the "strip club" outing I told of earlier in the month.) We had an awesome server. She even brought me warm, clean plates to lay on my lap when I asked, because the restaurant was so cold. At some point during our meal, the manager went round to various tables asking if we needed anything. We said we were waiting for bread but that we had told our server. When she heard who our server was, she commented, "Then I won't even remind her because I know she's already getting it."

I responded, "Yes, she has been doing an incredible job. I'm sure she is too." Apparently The Outback has a pin program. Each time a server receives a compliment from a guest, they get a pin. So the manager gave me a pin and told me to give it to the server. I was told the server would know what it meant. I got a squeal and a hug when I gave it to her. She knew it meant that I had told someone she was doing a good job.

Am I rambling? Yeah, I guess I am. But I do have a point with all of these stories. The old adage "Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me" is obviously a lie. But words can also make your day. Or someone else's. The best part is that knowing you made someone else's day can also make yours.

Today I'm encouraging all of you, in some small way, to make someone's day. And be sure to tell me about it.

10 comments:

WarriorM said...

What an awesome idea , Lara! It's so true that when you give praise where it's due, it lifts you up as well as the person receiving the praise. I see that with my boys all the time.

I enjoyed your "rambling" and I totally got your point. So, ramble away, Sister!

Have a GRRRREAT Day!

Anonymous said...

lara, how do you find so much time in the day?
You are an employee, mother, wife.
You are active on your blog writing interesting topics such as this one as well as submitting contri's on VW.

I was thinking just this morning how the day goes by so quickly, get up at 4:30 am go to work/w overtime, grocery shopping, pet supplies, computer time, work on music, lawn care and the list goes on.

Insecurities..oh yeah I bet we can all raise our hand on that one.

I think one of the things which has helped me the most is to just be myself,and I don't really care what others think.

lara I get the sense you are on the verge of an ephiphany(non religious)about yourself and what will emerge is the most beautiful butterfly you've ever seen.

sorry for getting serious but it was something I wanted to say.

Anonymous said...

You are much better at rambling than me Lara. I can rarely make a point when I'm focused.

I'm sitting in a bar in the Albquerque airport, and after reading this, I thanked my waitress for doing such a great job serving me. She blushed, gave me a big smile and told me she really needed that. You have such long arms Lara. ;)

Thx.

Saucy Monk said...

I made someone laugh by telling them my boss was a "cock-stroking robot". Does that count?

Saucy Monk said...

oh but seriously, you are one hot naked blogger. Does that count?

someone help me out here.

Angelaaaaaa said...

I know exactly how you feel lara...I get very insecure bout myself as well..
Worry that my clothes look ok..my hair...can people see that couple of pounds I put on???..lots of things..
Anyway I made hubby happy today by a comment I made to him (wont tell ya what it was) hehe
And trust me you havent got anything to worry about...you look A1..

Zephyr said...

Mary, I love how upbeat you always are! The post got awfully long without realizing it, so glad you got my point anyway. :)

Top_Cat, lets just say I find time by letting other things slide. You should SEE my perennial gardens! (On second thought, I'm glad you can't! LOL) And my tomatoes are STILL not canned, but rather laying in the garden rotting. Honestly, I write the columns in my mind for the most part, and I can do that anywhere... documenting them is the minor part. And it DOES help that I only "work" (for pay!) part-time, but blogging is part of my wind-down time.

Horsn, I saw your blog... so you got free beer nuts from my idea, huh? I loved hearing what you did and how she responded to it. That one nice comment you give to someone may be the one good thing that happens to them all day. It can change their entire day. You can be sure she'll remember what you said. :)

Hehehe Saucy monk... you can count whatever you think counts. Do you think those count? Or are you trying to tell me that you're not a nice enough person to make someone's day?

Awww Ang, I'm glad you made the hubby happy, but darn it, I wanna know what you said! :P And just how happy did you make him? :D

Mouthy Girl said...

Lara, woman, you already know how I feel about you. I won't go into my rambling here. *hard hugs*

In an earlier post on my blog I listed some things for which I was grateful on a certain day. Doing something like THAT puts life's little inconsistencies into focus. Tuesday night I had Back To School Night. I had a heart to heart with the parent of one of my students. Her kid's got a lot of weaknesses and is struggling even though she works really hard. Her mom was in tears while talking to me. I stopped her and said, "You need to know what a difference you make in her life. You're her biggest advocate. I have too many students whose parents DON'T care about them." Let's just say the woman was smiling broadly while sucking up a ton of my prized classroom tissues.

cadbury_vw said...

lara

i don't know you personally (one of my wishes is that someday i could meet you, just to know you in person)

and suspect i never will

i've watched you, and read your words since joining VW in 2002

you brighten each day that i come into contact with you or something you've written

Anonymous said...

.... heheh, Ma'am, I frequently say to attractive and so-so women... " Excuse me, but have you always been beautiful, (attractive etc) or is this a fairly recent thing with you?"

WOWZA! the responses are quite wonderful...

*hugs* edam