Twenty years ago, I was about 20 lbs lighter. Yes, I know... seriously underweight. That's not a good image, but I lose weight when I'm under stress. I can't help it. And getting ready for a wedding is stressful.
Yup, you guessed it... I've been with Mr. Sometimes-Wonderful for 20 years now.
No I still haven't gotten my birthday chair. (To give him credit... we did go to buy one I had seen on eBay, but the auction ended so we're waiting to see if the guy relists it). I doubt I'll get a gift today, but there's really nothing important that I want anyway.
But I probably will get a vase of flowers from the grocery store floral department... generally mostly carnations because he likes how they smell. (I prefer daffodils or lilies, but it's not really the right season for either of those.) He usually has them mix in one red rose too, I guess because your wife is supposed to get red roses.
We're not going out tonight because he wants to wait for another 1 1/2 weeks... he's trying to make weight for a sporting event that is coming up and he wants to enjoy his steak & seafood meal, so we are going to postpone our night out until he can actually eat. Don't worry, I'll hold him to it. We WILL get our night out!
But... he remembered it. Some men don't even do that! In fact, he remembered and told me "Happy Anniversary" even before I remembered this morning. Of course... he is a morning person and I'm not, and it was 6 am... but I'm willing to give credit where credit is due. :)
He may not always be Mr. Wonderful, but he's a good guy. Smart... nice looking... funny... hard working (often too hard-working!)... perhaps a bit too obsessed with his aging process, but we all have our issues with getting older.
My main complaint is that I wish he could just live life today instead of always saying what we will do next week or next month. I think life is more fun if you can be spontaneous once in a while and just say "screw it" to all that stuff that should be done. You never know you won't have a next week or next month. Planning for the future is wonderful, but the future arrives before you know it, and if you always put off those little things until you have more time, you may never find time.
Take my word for it... twenty years is like nothing. You need to enjoy each day of it.
7 comments:
Awww
Congratulations! 20 years is a long time in this day and age! :)~
And you're right, there are times that y'all should get to be a little more spontaeneous, but sometimes life just doesn't let ya!
Lara, congrats on your 20 years!
Mrs top cat and I just celebrated our 29th anniversary on Sunday, Sept 4th.
I'm not a big flower person, but what I like to do is surprise her with a couple of roses when she leasts expects it instead of the "oh it's this occasion, insert flowers of choice here".
I surprised her with a blue topaz necklace with white gold.The stone is set in some type of frosted stone which absorbs the color.
It was made for her, it radiates from her, I'm so lucky I found it.
We both left work early Friday(11ish)went to Macaroni Grill and then returned home.
We talked for a long time, sipping adult beverages and listening to music.
The entire weekend was "special" but Friday(gift day)was very special, I think one of my favorites, we both felt at peace.
A lot of water from the river of life has flowed over our stones, more and more I can see the smoothing of our edges.
Lara,thank you for sharing and myssa was RIGHT, you are HOT!
I wish you and your man an eternity of happiness and smooth stones.
Myssa.. yeah kids tend to remove some of the ability to be spontaneous.
Top Cat... Congratulations on your 29th as well! I'm glad that you could have such a special day.
LOL Base, my husband lives by his list, and I can't tell you how many times I've been frantically asked "Have you seen my list anywhere??" Spontaneous to him would be planning to do something and not writing it on his list. I'm not sure he could even do that!!!
hehe...
add your own commentary to his list, see if he does it...But be sure to forge his handwriting and scrawl it in as though he had absentmindedly added it randomly...Tell him "well if you added it to your list, then you must have wanted to do it..."
Think that would work?
ROFL, well he can be a bit absent minded Myssa... but I think forging THAT handwriting might be impossible. It's BAD!
Have you ever written a post note to remind yourself to make a list?
Hahaha, not me! I HATE lists... only write things down that are absolutely necessary.
In fact... my hubby sometimes makes lists FOR me, which I find very irritating. To irritate back, I purposely don't cross off the things I do.
*evil laugh*
Post a Comment