Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Gnat Attack



Porn isn't the only war I'm fighting lately! Along with the fall weather, we have somehow gotten a gnat infestation in our house. We're going NUTS lately... damn things are everywhere!

Our new kitchen decor includes 1) a small dish of vinegar and 2) an always-plugged-in vacuum sweeper. When the gnats collect on the edge of the dish, we sweep them up and plug the sweeper opening with a rag so there's no chance of them getting out.

Apparently not very effective, as the infestation is still going strong. They also enjoy sitting on the damp towels in the bathrooms and circling the pet guinea pigs. Patches and Peppermint aren't impressed by their new housemates.

Apparently gnats breed in plants, so it's likely I will have to replant all of my plants in sterile soil to get rid of this mess. I am NOT happy! Do I really want more work?? And will it really do the job? How do I know that's where the little suckers are living?

Anyone know a good way to get rid of gnats? Anyone want some new pets? (Hey, did you ever notice that pets and pest are simply rearrangments of the same letters?)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

pets / pest ~ I've pointed that out many times to my family!

You might call a local garden shop and ask if there is a treatment you can apply to the soil of your house plants. My advise would be drag all the plants outside and hope for a hard freeze. But I always get one of those looks when I suggest that at home.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lara... you have likely already "googled" this, but just in case, this site has some good info:

http://www.pestproducts.com/pests/fungusgnat.htm#Fungus%20Gnat%20Elimination

If I lived closer, I would gladly volunteer to come over help out... but then again, you might be replacing one pest problem with another :)

good luck,
Greg

Zephyr said...

Thanks Greg... I'm allergic to a lot of insect sprays, so I'm holding out on sprays until I have exhausted all other methods. Today I took all the plants out into the garage... that should tell us before long if we found the source of the infestation.

And note that I said "GARAGE" Horsn... not outdoors! I only have 3 plants... actually I have one, the other two belong to the kids. I just raise them.