Friday, December 09, 2005

Let it STOP snowing!

Last year at Thanksgiving, we had our first big snowfall. It came down like crazy, then just stopped and turned into a gorgeous, sunny day. We had our Thanksgiving dinner, then the kids went out to play in the snow, build a snowman, etc. I went around taking photos of some of the interesting sights you get with a really heavy, wet snow like this one was.

The snow clung to everything... fences, trees, even basketball nets. The snow in the bright sunshine and shadows gave some great options for photos.

There were a lot of icicles too... I found the combination of the snow and ice hanging from the tree branches to be one of the most fascinating items to photograph.

But enough is enough. Last year Mother Nature cooperated, melting it all by the next day. Even the snowman was on his last balls by noon.

But that was last year. This year we got the first snow the day before Thanksgiving. On Thanksgiving day we had several inches of snow, and the kids happily packed snow into piles and built snow tunnels with their cousins at grandpa and grandma's house. This was in 16 degree temps with 40 mph winds.

It just goes to prove my theory... kids are insane. How could they love this stuff? It's cold. It's wet. Did I mention it's cold?

We weren't as lucky this year as we were last. The snow that came on Thanksgiving Day didn't leave. It just brought it's brothers. And sisters. And cousins. And aunts and uncles and nieces and nephews and inlaws and even those outlaws that no one claims being related to. Enough already! Where's our Indian Summer in December?

We got about 4 inches of snow yesteday afternoon. I wimped out inside while the kids and hubby shoveled the drive. We got another 6-8 inches overnight. I had to shovel myself out this morning. The boys got a snow day so I sent them out to do the rest of the driveway, but I had to clear enough to drive the daughter to school this morning.

Don't get me wrong... I do like 6-10 inches of some things. Snow is just not one of those things.

6 comments:

Pirate said...

Gr4eat blog. I enjoyed the pix and the drivel.

SignGurl said...

Lara~Don't hate me. I'm going to say it.....I LOVE SNOW! I'm a freak, I know. I just love playing in it and looking at it when it's fresh and everything is white and clean. Don't you like it even a little?

Anonymous said...

We got 4 or 5 inches Thursday night, ick..I think Michigan is in for a cold cold hard winter this year, yours too Lara.

pirate are you sure you meant to say drivel?(wink)

I've known Lara for some time now and I don't think she is even capable of drivel.LOL (maybe that's cause I can't keep my eyes off her sexy long legs).

Pirate said...

still no snow here but cold as hell anyway. the kids get up every morning and damn we have school. Just like what i say when i check my lottery ticket every Sunday morning.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lara, you're in luck ... I've got six to 10 inches and not a snowflake in sight. LOL Those are some beautiful snow pics you took. Love the composition and the perspective. If you need to get warm ... just askin'.

Zephyr said...

Hehe I knew I'd get at least one offer off of that final statement! :D

Actually I don't mind snow.... I just despise cold. And unfortunately they go together.