
I used to hear people say that they didn't mind their spouse gaining weight because "there's just more to love." This comic shows the other side of the issue.
So which way is it really?
Well, to me it's a bit of both. I don't look at a well-earned pair of 'love handles' and think "EWWWWWWWWWWWWW". Unless, of course, someone looks at a little cellulite and suggests that I might want to hit the Stairmaster more often. Then I might secretly think it... though I still probably wouldn't say it. But generally I don't think that way. I am the type to see the person inside more than a few outside flaws.
But regardless... this comic strip highlights a pet peeve of mine. It seems like so many people want to look great while dating, to attract a spouse. They want to lose that extra weight to look good for their wedding. But afterward? Many just let themselves go. It's like they think they caught the person now, so they don't have to work at it any more.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say something pretty controversial:
If someone doesn't care enough about themselves or their spouse to want to continue to look good, they don't have any right to be surprised if the spouse looks around.
I'm not saying people should have affairs if their spouse gains weight. But I am saying that it is YOUR responsibility to do your best to continue to attract your spouse. Every day. Yes, both of you. I'm not just talking to the women here. You men gain weight too. And we're not the only ones who walk around in stained t-shirts and ratty sweats.
After I had kids and began working from home part-time, it was easy to have a lot of ponytail and sweats days. The stretch pants fit better than the jeans... yes I admit that my hips spread after having several huge babies. I often didn't get time away from a whiny kid to take a shower until at least naptime... and by then I needed a nap too. So hubby would come home from work to find me in sweats and a tshirt with pillow hair in a ponytail. Nice, huh?
It's easy to let yourself go. But you don't have to. And why would you want to?
Today at lunch, some college friends of mine were sitting at the next table in the restaurant. She and I are about a week apart in age, yet a few years ago she complained to me how strangers commented to her about her grandchildren while the family was out together. I didn't know what to say, because she and her husband DO look old enough to be their children's grandparents.
And why? Mostly because they don't take time for themselves. Their lives are focused around their 4 children... homeschooling a few of them... juggling dozens of activities...
It's not selfish to take time for yourself. It's a necessity.
I'm talking about getting up in the morning and putting on sexy jeans and doing my hair & makeup, even if it's my day off work and no one is going to see me, then looking in the mirror and thinking, "Damn I look pretty good today."
Yes I might be the same person as I am wearing sweats and a ratty t-shirt. But unless they make me feel that same way about myself, I prefer to forego them as often as possible. When I know I look good, I feel better about myself. And I project a different face to the rest of the world too. I like that face a lot. And if I like it, my husband is going to like it too.
I don't want to be the lady in the cartoon.
PS: Woohoo Steelers!!!
10 comments:
I couldnt agree more just because they are caught dont mean they stay that way. if my wife gets fat and does so because she dosent care about herslf then i will look around. we are not barbie and ken but we do belive we should stay in reasonable shape for each other.
I think this is well thought out. However I think there needs to be a distinction between normal aging and body changes and just giving up. I think too often we are taught that beauty is what the mags and television say it is. Not that long ago there were adds giving women the secret to gain those extra pounds to look healthy.
But you are right that effort and feeling good about one's self is important to having a spouse or lover see that in your eyes. I think that feeling good about how you feel does project something into the world and the world includes your speical person.
I know that I like to feel attractive but most of all to my wife.
It seems to be common. A lot of people let them selves go and yes, it is on both parts.
As to dressing up you are so right. It is always nice to dress up, even if it is nothing super special. And when you care about yourself others know as well. I know the weekends I just kind of grub out I always feel so much better after a shower and getting dressed up to go out.
I decided to unlurk and say:
I love your post today. When we work on our body, our spirit, our mind and our outlook, we become better spouses and have better marriages.
Interesting blog and I agree... I'd be keen on knowing your reaction to a recent post of mine entitled "Frightening Insight."
And feel free to leave a dirty question while you're at it!
Thanks Jay.
Well Ed, I'm not blaming people for aging... heck I've gained 10 lbs in the past 20 years too. But when it became apparent it was going to stay, I devoted myself to getting it toned instead of just having flab. My point isn't to blame the spouse, but that each of us should look at ourselves, and how we can be more attractive to our spouses. I certainly don't like my husband pointing out everything he sees in me that is wrong!
Exactly Barman... that's why I try to "dress up to stay in" too. :)
Thanks Leesa, that's exactly my point. Very glad you unlurked!
Thanks Shyrocket. I'm still trying to think of a dirty question... guess my mind is just too clean. *coff*
Sorry Lara I didn't mean to accuse you. I was just saying that for some metabolism changes are harder to deal with. But you are right about knowing that people should look to being the best they can be for each other. BTW from what I have seen you really do do a great job with your body.
great post - very thought provoking.
so true! I have always struggled with my weight. I have been at the extreme ends of the spectrum and from experience I function better and am happier when I am confident in my appearance and feeling fit.
Interesting that I have seen no one commenting on this before
I didn't really take care of myself before I met my wife but then again I was 14 years younger, in the military, and naturally fit. When I met my wife she started feeding me pasta because that's what she was raised on and loved (I was a meat/potatoes guy).
I've gained 70lbs over the past 14 years and I hate it. I don't try and lose weight because I think she wants me to. I do it because I want to.
I'm not exactly successful right now but I'm trying for the right reasons...
Post a Comment