Today I was pretty darn proud of my kids.
Daughter had a half day of school, so we packed her a light lunch and I promised that she could have one of the two pieces of leftover pizza after she got home.
Son had no school today so after an early doctor appointment he was on his own while I did some work. He was happily occupied with his GameCube. I thought.
Around 11:30 I called downstairs to tell him to be sure to save his sister a piece of pizza when he eats lunch. Too late. He had already eaten both of them. I was a bit peeved because I knew how disappointed she would be, but it wasn't really his fault since I hadn't told him in time.
So when I went to pick her up, I told him that I might be late because I might take her out for some lunch to make up for not getting pizza. He told me that he was getting extra money on his game, and that when she got home, he'd let her play and she could use the money to buy something on the game.
He's pretty possessive of his games, so this was a very generous thing.
She decided she wanted a taco from taco bell. It's probably tied with pizza as her favorite food, so that pretty much killed any whining on her part before it began.
While we ate, I told her what her brother had said. She recognized it as the generous gesture that it was, and decided, on her own, to reciprocate. Taco Bell has a special version of Mountain Dew that you can't get anywhere else. It's a favorite of almost all of my family, so she decided to refill the cup before we left so she could bring some home for him.
Since the kids were very young, I have always stressed putting themselves into other people's shoes. I've quizzed them to see how they might feel if something happened to them... both to help them become more empathetic, and also to help them understand why other people might behave in inappropriate ways.
It's an awesome feeling to see them do it on their own. They're growing up. And pretty darn well, I might add.
9 comments:
I know how this does not feel as if it came naturally; but the rest of us, watching from a distance, will say: Of course they do. Of course they grow up to be good and caring people. They are your kids. They have you for a mother. In the toughest hours of raising two of my own I tell myself: 'Never underestimate the genes'.
It is an overwhelming feeling to see them come of age and reason. I am happy for you that you were given these wonderful moments today.
Hugs
Kristin
Huge hugs to you for displaying the right modeling to your kids! They're a testament to your ability to "mother." I'm so proud of them and of YOU!
aww bless! keep up the good mothering
xxB
:D
The little surprises, the little moments of sunshine. Ah, there is nothing like this kind of warmth.
what a great post Lara.
You deserve to feel proud, as parents we can only teach our children what is right and fair but it's up to them to "feel" and act on these feelings.
Great big smiley on this one.
Great kids. Savor that moment for the times you wonder if you are doing thre right things with them. You are awesome Lara as are your kids.
Damn, girl - your kids ROCK!
.... just a sign of the great Mommy they've got.
oh, btw... I Looooooooove that "special" Mtn Dew from Taco Bell, too. m-m-m-m!
Too bad I went diet soda, as now it is only a once-in-a-while type of thing.
because raising children is the most important thing we will ever do, moments like the one you describe are precious and important
children learning to be generous in everday situations is so important
i always find it bizarre how people who can be complete assholes for the rest of the year can suddenly be all "oh, but it's christmas" during the holiday season
that your children are being generous without prompting, in an everyday instance, is a testament to your example as a parent and as a person
bravo to you
and bravo to them
i read this other day and have been thinking about it. it is so great that you got the reinforcement that you are doing a great job as a mom. those are few and far between and we ALL need them.
i had one recently - with my 4 yr old and 2 yr old.
made me realize that i might be on the right track after all...
Post a Comment