Monday, April 10, 2006

Reunions

So is this a word that strikes fear in your mind? Or anticipation?

I assume most of you out there have experienced a few high school class reunions. I just had my 5th (reunion, not 5-year). And I've noticed that each time my feelings are about the same.

I think people go to reunions for varying reasons. Some go because they sincerely want to catch up with old friends. Some are curious about who accomplished what. And some just want to show everyone else what they have accomplished.

Me? Well... I've accomplished um... well I do have a job and a family. No big surprise there. But I can't really show them some of my favorite accomplishments, such as my hobbies.

At my recent reunion, there was a lot of reminiscing going on. And it brought back memories to me too... memories of all the things I never took part in. Things I was never invited to take part in. Things I was excluded from. Things that were hidden from me. I realized, yet again, how much I was NOT a part of my class.

At the reunion, they did this little event where you chose a topic from a baggie and said the first thing that came to mind about the topic. It became more and more apparent to me that I wasn't really a part of this class. Very few of the memories involved anything that I was a part of. There was one question that asked something about the smartest person in the class. That was about the only time my name came up.

Yes I was the class valedictorian. Big hairy deal. And big surprise... what else did I have to do other than study?

See, I had this brother. He was rejected. Badly. In fact, 4 years after he graduated, being called his name was the worst insult someone could give you. So I learned by watching his experiences.

I learned that being different isn't a good thing. Standing out will get you nothing but ridicule. I learned to keep my mouth shut and my eyes open. I learned to get attention by excelling academically.

I was the "shy, quiet girl with the nice smile."

Does that sound like me? My friends, husband, and kids now all laugh hysterically if I try to make that claim. Though they'll agree with the nice smile part.

Back then, the commencement speakers were voted into the role, not automatically given the position by virtue of class position. So of course, I was NOT a commencement speaker. I wouldn't have wanted to speak in front of anyone anyway. But I got to thinking what I would LIKE to say to my former classmates.

As I sit and listen to everyone's memories, I wonder why I come to reunions. I was obviously not a part of this class in anything except school seating positions. Everyone's memories of school are actually memories of activities with school friends, not memories of school itself.

My memories? Fortunately I have few.

I remember putting an anonymous Valentine's Day card in Tim's locker in 8th grade. Tim was shy, and blushed from top to bottom. I never told Tim it was me because I didn't want to face being rejected.

I remember being chosen last for just about everything, especially sports activies. I remember learning to expect it... being given the stupid parts in class plays... being one of the few not invited to Karen's slumber party.

I remember being part of library club and science club and spanish club... the clubs with all the other geeks in them. I can't remember any activities we did. I guess we didn't do anything very memorable.

I remember Paul's comment to me at senior play dress rehearsal... apparently inspired by the extremely short white shorts I had on. Paul commented, "Nice legs!" It was the one and only compliment I ever remember receiving from anyone in my home area regarding my looks. Sure I'd get compliments, looks, and whistles when away from home on vacations... but I guess I wasn't deserving of that from people who actually knew me. I've always wanted to thank Paul for that, and if he ever attends a class reunion, I will.

I remember going to the junior prom with my 3 best friends because I got turned down by the two guys who I asked. And I remember overhearing the shocked, "Is that Lara" from a classmate as I kissed my senior prom date... my first ever date. I remember turning down Merv when he called to ask me out several times late in my senior year because I wouldn't go out with anyone I was totally uninterested in, just for the privilege of finally having a date.

I remember going off to college with relief... with the opportunity to finally find who I wanted to be rather than fitting the box I felt shoved into. I remember coming home at school breaks and feeling myself turn back into the shy, quiet girl with the nice smile.... the girl who never went anywhere and never did anything. I remember making the decision to not spend long breaks at home any more... to never live in that area because I didn't like the person that I became when there.

I still have some of that girl in me. Hurts from the past, whether real or imaginary, are never easily left behind. But I have also learned a lot since high school.

I have learned that there is much more to me than what I let anyone see. I have learned that people can be cruel, but that letting that cruelty dictate who you become is only your own fault. I have learned that a good portion of the dismissal that I received growing up was my own fault... I let myself become a person who was easily dismissed due to my fears of standing out.

I have learned that while I may be insecure, that I am neither shy nor quiet (to the chagrin of my husband and children!) And I have learned to confront that insecurity... to push myself beyond it allows me to also move past some of it. I have learned that much of my insecurity is totally unfounded, and that I have far more abilities and gifts than I ever gave myself credit for. I have learned that only by pushing yourself beyond your fears can you actually achieve the things you want to achieve.

I have learned that because I wasn't 'dateable' back in high school, a bunch of guys back then just missed out on getting to know a really wonderful person. I have learned that the girls who were 'dateable' didn't end up any better than I am. Some became pregnant at unintended times and ended up married and divorced in dead-end jobs.

I haven't had any huge accomplishments since high school, but I've also not had any huge failures. I still have my original husband, and three very intelligent and good-looking children. I have the ability to work part-time by choice.

(And I look better in my clothes than most of my classmates... and probably better out of them too. In fact, I firmly believe that I look better now than I did 25 years ago... how many people can say THAT?)

I've never really felt like I fit anywhere, so I've learned that I can't blame anyone for not fitting in high school either. Back then I was little more than a product of my own fears. But I have learned that what you become is far more important than who you were in high school. I'm not sure I would have realized that if I hadn't gone to reunions, so for that reason I'll probably continue to attend them.

13 comments:

cadbury_vw said...

to answer your question:

reunion was a word that struck fear into me the first time one happened for my high school class

i didn't go

many people had been successful or had ggod jobs and such. i was an unemployed university drop-out.

my story is much like yours, lara

i feel for you and how some of that pain still surfaces - and the rest is still sitting down there - just capped - sealed in like a toxic spill with a concrete plug...

not getting voted in when you should have been the one, and being picked last for things are permanent scars

the lara i know is smart, tough, able, vivacious, and sexy - and not just because i see you naked

i like the person i know

and those others never bothered to even take the time

their loss

Lil Bit said...

I went to my 20th H/S reunion just last fall... man, I had a frikkin' BLAST! LOL - makin' me giggle just remembering it.

Memory lane is a fun one to walk down. Well, sometimes.

Speaking of... I remember a brave, beautiful woman who used to visit my blog.....
LOL! *rib poke*

Anonymous said...

I've been to two, mine and my wife's. Same high school just a year apart. I didn't really fit in either, but I'm glad I went. Rekindled some old friendships and even made a few new ones. The things that were important then, have little meaning now.

Zephyr said...

Thanks Cadbury. :) I know the pain is still there but I guess my point is that the pain is also necessary... pain can either break us or make us stronger. How we react to it is our own choice. I still want to 'show them' sometimes. Ok, often. But I don't feel like half of a person around them any more. I like who I am, and they all had a part in making this person, (even though it was by default.)

Hehe Lil Bit, I still pop by... but you have to admit that you haven't posted much lately either!!!

Yes m@, it's amazing how priorities change. I haven't really made new friendships, but perhaps there's still time for that. And I think at the least, I've seen many of my classmates in a new light... not just as the people THEY were 25 years ago.

Zephyr said...

Kristin, I agree.. I'm glad that I never learned to be one to get by on looks. I see people like that often... the self-centered ones with no depth. But I feel for all the kids who didn't manage to use their hurts as a foundation for growth. Everyone has those pains... we all use them differently. Oh.. and there's a reason I was chosen last for sports things... I'm awful at them. Totally awful. My lowest grade ever was in a basketball class. LOL

Zephyr said...

Hehe I saw your post before you reposted and had already answered you! But I forgot to answer your question... how do I receive compliments now.

I'd have to say I don't really know how to receive them. I get embarassed. I say thanks, but have trouble believing them. I'm a bit self-deprecating.

Zephyr said...

Kristin, I suspect that's why I prefer comments on my photos that comment on the quality rather than on me personally. It's far easier to accept that I'm good at self-photography than it is to accept compliments on my physical attributes.

And I still want to meet you... ;)

Anonymous said...

... beautiful flowers grow from odd looking seeds. :)

You and Kristen are perfect examples, if you catch my drift. As I understand it, Larry nurtured, as must have your HUBBY, the flowers that were to be' two absolutely gorgeous brains with body attached! *hugs* edam

barman said...

Wow, your high school times sounds like mine. Instead of a nice safe valentine however I sent a letter to someone I really liked. REJECTED That hurt forever.

For me I was fortunte and was involved with band. Yes I was one of THOSE people. Still I really did not fit in for the most part. In saying that however I did walk away with some decent experiences and memories.

My first reunion I really did not want to go to and had a terrible time. I did not go again until last year, my 30th reunion. I had a pretty good time at it. What was different? Me. I decided I was going to have a good time. I got to see several of the people I really cared to see and a bunch that did not matter and I found the one person I most wanted to see. We talked a bit and I got to tell him how gald I was to see him and he dropped this bomb on me. He wanted to tell me how much it ment to him when I helped him with his math. I barely even remember that but did he make me feel good. You see that is just me. If I can help someone out I will without thinking twice about it. It made me feel great that I had touched someones life that I really never knew I did.

Later I was INVITED to a little get together by a former neighbor. There was about 30 of us and I had an even better time.

I think the difference for me between last year and high school was all me, was all attitude. I still carry scars from high school and I always will. Funny thing I think some of those scars were a good thing. Anyway now I look forward to the next reunion and, even though I am 100 miles away, I told them I would like to help out with the next one.

For me going to the reunion has never been to show off. I don't have a family. I don't have a prestigous job. I can't spell (sorry, had to toss that one in). But I do have a lot of good things too not the least of which is the person I turned into.

Boy how I wish I would have come across you Lara in high school. Of course I probably would have just sat there, stared at you and never did anything about it ... sigh!

Lara I will always make comments about how lovely you look and what an excelent job you do with your pictures. It just can't be helped as you bring it out in me.

Sorry this was so long but I guess you sort of touched a nerve.

Zephyr said...

Barman, you are really a sweetheart. :) Actually, in a way I'm glad I went through some of the things I did... my experiences made me who I am today, and I like who I am. And in spite of not really feeling a part of the class, I did have a good time. Two of my friends even came to this reunion, their first ever. It was awesome to see them after so many years.

SheenV said...

I went to my 20-year HS reunion last year. It was pretty good. Mostly the same small group of people that were at the others. I don't live in the same state, so it was good to catch up with everyone. I was one of the class geeks, but I had friends in all of the cliques, so life was pretty good. I was very shy and girls were friends but not girlfriends.

Mouthy Girl said...

You are stunning both inside and out. The way people act in middle and high schools is just a terrible reality. Some of it is due to the modeling kids see from the adults who surround them. Part of it is also the fact that there are people who are survivors and those who simply are not.

You survived high school and the fear-inducing memories. You've overcome feelings of inadequacy. You've been able to take honest stock of yourself, see your strengths AND foibles, and make changes and decisions to create a happy self.

No one's perfect. No one lets go of past hurts. No one can do 100% all the time.

I don't expect any of that from you. I adore who you are. Those who didn't take the time back then to see beyond your smile and brains have lost out on a wonderful woman. Those who are intimidated by you today also have a check in the "loss column" of life.

*hard hugs*

Thanks for such an honest, soul-baring post!

MistaBone said...

I cannot tell you how deeply this post has touched me.
Thank you.