Wednesday, June 21, 2006

An art-filled week


I'm having a great week! I'm doing something that is sure to become an annual event... I'm taking an art class with my daughter. Every day we're heading over to an area high school and learning more about watercolor and silk painting. Both of us are working on watercolor paintings (well we're not that far along yet, but I hope to be painting it by later today!)

I've always loved watercolor paintings. For years I've wanted to learn more techniques so that I could convert some of my floral closeup photos into watercolor paintings, so when I saw this class on the list, it was perfect. My daughter wasn't as convinced; she wanted to take the 3D mask making class, but she gave in.

I got hooked on silk painting last year during HER art class. I stayed with her one day and the teacher said I could do one myself if I wanted to, so I did. It was so awesome... so similar to watercolor painting, with all of the characteristics that I love (the way the colors bleed together is gorgeous). I still haven't made the pillow with my painting from last year, but I will!

My daughter's having fun (though she thinks the drawing part is just too much work!) But she's agreed that taking a mother-daughter art class has to become our annual event.

Healthwise, I'm doing better too. A lot of people have been asking so I thought I'd post an update... My back is mostly pain-free a lot of the time, though I still have difficulty standing for long. There's still some residual nerve irritation that will probably hang around for a quite a while. It makes me hypersensitive to cold temps (I have trouble tolerating air conditioning blowing, swimming last weekend was painful, and walking through the freezer sections of grocery stores about kills me!) but it's definitely improving. So hopefully next week I can start back to my pilates classes, and work off the few pounds I've gained since I haven't been able to walk or exercise.

And the photo at the top of this post? It's the one I'm trying to paint. And if it turns out, maybe I'll show you the final version too. :)

5 comments:

cadbury_vw said...

i am really happy that you are able to do something that allows you to indulge yourself

to indulge your creative side

your expression

i am so very pleased for you

barman said...

What an awesome thing for you to be able to do and it is even better being able to do it with your daughter.

I am glad to hear you are doing much better but I must admit I missed that you were having problems. Good luck on working the rest out Lara.

Zephyr said...

I was happy too, Cadbury... but today was a bit tough. LOL I'll decide later if I"m still happy!

Thanks Barman... I think it's pretty great too. She loves doing crafts & art things, and I guess as long as she's willing to do them next to mom, I need to find the time. In a few years when she becomes a teen, she's sure to decide that mom doesn't know anything!

The Seeker said...

Very Cool. Excellent way to stay connected.

ohc said...

Glad you are creating! It sure can help heal the soul....and once the soul is better, then the body.

I can only imagine how much it means to your daughter! YAY!

You ARE talented! I can not wait to see what you are doing! Hope you post something!