Tuesday, August 15, 2006

*bump* *crash*

Last night I had a fender-bender.

Well, that's what the other girl called it. Except nothing was bent. So then it's not truly a fender-bender, is it?

She was stopped at a stoplight. I was stopping... almost successfully... until my foot slipped off the brake and our fenders bumped, at about 5 mph. I got out, looked for damage, and let out a sigh of relief that there was none.

She informed me that she wanted to file a police report. WTF? You want to sit outside at 9:30 pm and wait for police to arrive, so you can report that some woman bumped into you at 5 mph, causing NO damage and NO injuries whatsoever?

Um... sure... ok. I ran into you, so you can have whatever you want. Where do you want me to drive? We really shouldn't sit here blocking an intersection for 45 minutes to report an accident that will probably get laughed at later by the police.

So we pulled off into a Wendy's parking lot to wait.

When the police arrived, he asked the normal questions... Was anyone injured? What was damaged? Lets back up, and we'll pretend this is him interviewing her.

Policeman: Is anyone injured?
Other woman: No, but I'm kind of shook up.
Policeman: Is anything damaged?
Other woman: No but I plan to have it checked, just to be sure.



Policeman: There's not enough damage to file a report, so I'm giving you each other's information on this form. If your insurance company wants an accident report, you can call me at the station and I'll write one up.


Yeah. We waited about 45 minutes for that.

Now I'll admit that generally when someone hits me, they try to claim there is no damage and convince me not to call the police, even when there's a hole in my bumper or something. But when there really IS no damage?

Am I wrong in thinking this lady is a major hypochondriac? I'm still half-expecting to get a call from her insurance company claiming several hundred dollars of hidden damage.

5 comments:

barman said...

This is a time having a camera with you would have come in handy. I would not be surprised if she has a husband or boyfriend or someone that is going to be upset with her and she is being cautious. Hopefully that is all it is.

Since the police did not see damage and people said there was not damage I would think it would be hard for her to claim anything. Good luck.

Mouthy Girl said...

Jaysus Christ. Idiot.

You already know the saga and THEN SOME of HG's accident.

Your chick was an idiot. A COMPLETE buffoon. I hope she got home and tripped down a flight of stairs. THEN she could really feel some pain.

My bro in law is an ex-cop. He would have done the same thing...asked you to stay and likely laughed his ass off at that other chick.

Zephyr said...

Well Barman, I have a hubby who would be upset with ME... but then I didn't tell him. Why? Because there were no injuries and no damage! LOL

BG, unfortunately the cop seemed to know HER... they were chatting like buddies as he finished. I just sat politely in my (non-damaged) vehicle, waiting for it all to be done.

cadbury_vw said...

That really bites.

I hope there's no insurance company bill/action out of it.

In our jurisdiction you're only supposed to call the police if there's an injury or over $1000 worth of damage.

The Seeker said...

I had that happen to me. They called my insurance company and claimed the retarded girl in the back seat hurt her neck... I pay 40% more in insurance now because that SOB stopped in the middle of the road for no reason. Non Driving Fuck. (NDF - you can quote me on that.)