Last night, I felt old. Ancient even.
I've been scrapbooking this week. Not by choice, mind you. I'm pretty darn good at crafts, and have quite an artistic streak, but I have never understood scrapbooking. I mean, really, if those photos weren't meant to sit quietly in those little paper envelopes indefinitely, why would the stores put them in there in the first place?
But back to the point.
My son has a scrapbook due tomorrow. Memories of his class trip, broken down by one or two pages per landmark, with a minimum number of photos per page and a paragraph of reflections as well. Pretty detailed shit. Which we've been following, to the letter. Assuming, of course, that a paragraph consists of a maximum of two sentences.
So we frantically work on these 20-30 pages of less-than-artistically-arranged memories. He whines and bitches at every opportunity. Says he will never scrapbook again in this lifetime.
I told him that this newfound ability makes him serious boyfriend material. That any girl will be impressed by a guy who can scrapbook.
He wasn't sold.
I added that some people make good money from this.
He would rather be poor.
All in all, this was not the most stress-free way to wind down for the evening. So when 11:00 came, I collapsed in the recliner in front of the TV. I mindlessly browsed channels that I had never seen before, since we just got cable a couple of weeks ago.
And I came to M-Tv. Which is why I felt old.
I mean, really... when did M-Tv quit playing music videos?
I've been scrapbooking this week. Not by choice, mind you. I'm pretty darn good at crafts, and have quite an artistic streak, but I have never understood scrapbooking. I mean, really, if those photos weren't meant to sit quietly in those little paper envelopes indefinitely, why would the stores put them in there in the first place?
But back to the point.
My son has a scrapbook due tomorrow. Memories of his class trip, broken down by one or two pages per landmark, with a minimum number of photos per page and a paragraph of reflections as well. Pretty detailed shit. Which we've been following, to the letter. Assuming, of course, that a paragraph consists of a maximum of two sentences.
So we frantically work on these 20-30 pages of less-than-artistically-arranged memories. He whines and bitches at every opportunity. Says he will never scrapbook again in this lifetime.
I told him that this newfound ability makes him serious boyfriend material. That any girl will be impressed by a guy who can scrapbook.
He wasn't sold.
I added that some people make good money from this.
He would rather be poor.
All in all, this was not the most stress-free way to wind down for the evening. So when 11:00 came, I collapsed in the recliner in front of the TV. I mindlessly browsed channels that I had never seen before, since we just got cable a couple of weeks ago.
And I came to M-Tv. Which is why I felt old.
I mean, really... when did M-Tv quit playing music videos?

6 comments:
TELL ME ABOUT IT!!!!! There was NEVER a slumber party in the early/mid 80's that I was at that did not have MTV as loud as the TV would handle in the background of 10 screaming pre-teens! I don't think they even have a music video any place on that set!
Hah and now you have the word verification! :P
I think they stopped playing music videos on mtv about the time that mtv2 came about - and they decided to shuttle their music to that -- but even that, the last I saw, only showed the rare music video.
Of course, I wasn't allowed to watch mtv growing up, so I'm not entirely sure when (plus with the 7 years in Europe -- I'm sure it was sometime in there) it went anti-music tv, but yeah. Wow, am I tired... heh.
Nikki, in the early/mid 80's I first found Mtv because I was in college... the dorms had cable and Mtv played constantly! When I asked my son about the videos, he quoted lyrics from the song 1985 by "Bowling for soup". LOL
Melissa, I didn't put on word verification! wonder why you got that because I don't see anything at all. I'll check it out though, because it was NOT intentional. And I've never heard of Mtv2. Guess you can tell I haven't had cable since mid-late 80's! lol
It's pretty sad when you have to watch Vh1 to see videos. :)
MYV only plays music videos in the middle of the night now, at least so I read. At first they created a MTV2 and moved the music videos to that. But they even stopped playing them there. VH1 played a lot of Music Videos but I am not sure if they are doing that any more or not. I have not watched MTV, MTV2, VH1, VH?, BET or any music oriented (and that is questionable) program in some time.
Wow, Lara has cable. I think the world must be coming to an end.
m@, VH-1 has always been sad in my book. LOL
Barman, haha @ world coming to an end. Let's just say we got a good price and it saves us money each month. That makes it much more understandable! LOL
Post a Comment