Ok... not really. The sobbing part, I mean. He really is leaving me though. We got the word today... he was accepted into the school he applied to go to next fall.
You don't expect that they'll leave home at 16. You plan for it at 18 or 19. By 21 you're praying for it. By 23 you're packing for them, putting the boxes out in the lawn, and changing the locks. But at 16? *sigh*
Don't get me wrong, I'm excited. Really I am.
But I'm also reminiscent. Times like this bring back the vivid memory of holding him at the hospital, almost 16 years ago. Browsing the book my mom brought us. One big-time tear-jerker book. Tears streaming down my face.
Who'd think you could love someone so much and so quickly?
The years go way too quickly. Here he is already, this tall, smart, good-looking, amazing kid. Ready to leave home.
I should pat myself on the back for doing such a good job with him. And maybe I will. Once my eyes stop watering.

7 comments:
I KNEW it! I was going to ask you about it the last time we talked but didn't want to jinx anything.
I have that book - was given it when I got pregnant with Buddha. Hello? Tears?
I am SO proud of the kid. He's going to have so much fun and be surrounded with like-minded kids who will probably love my foul, cursing mouth as much as he does!
When you get his mailing address, pass it on to me. I'll send him crib sheets of great curses for entertainment and pack them around gooey brownies for late-night cram sessions!
My babes are 12 and 9, I have a difficult time with THAT, so I can only imagine how you are feeling!! A huge mix of pride and sadness.
Not sure what is happening but I am sure you raised him well and he is something to be very proud of. If you did raise him as I expect, I am sure he will be around and also checking in, he just will not be living there.
Best wished on the transition to the both of you but 16, wow. {hugs} for the leaky eyed Lara.
I am sure you did a great job and I am proud of you as a mom....
hugggggggggggggggg and handing you a new handkerchief.
BG, I told him about the crib sheet... he's looking forward to it, and hopes that you can send some in various foreign languages. He already knows some in German & Spanish, but Italian or Polish would be great. ;)
Nikki, exactly. I can tell you, he got a lot of hugs yesterday!
Barman, he's not the most social kid, but he did promise to talk to me on IM and he is already expecting me to call him every day. LOL
Ed, thanks. I'm sure I'll need more when August comes too! LOL
Congratulations. :) It's a sign of a secure kid, the one that can walk away well.
Yeah Maggie I know... I guess. And I'm excited, really, but it's still hard to watch.
Post a Comment