
Yesterday on Miss Britt's blog, I read a sobering post. And I remembered something, even though I really would prefer not to.
See, I have this story... this event... this thing that happened to me a very long time ago. In actuality, it was two events, not just one, but they are part of the same story. And I have told exactly two people in my life. VERY BRIEFLY told two people, because I have such mixed feelings about it.
I don't even know what you call it. But it's been an elephant in my closet for years, and even though I've gotten over it, the fact that I haven't told the story still keeps the elephant there.
And trust me, my closets are packed to overflowing. That damn elephant really doesn't fit well. One small event can yield a pretty large elephant.
The first part happened sometime in my mid-high school years. My ugly-as-hell bedroom was being redecorated from the faded, cracked gray wallpaper that had been there since... oh, probably since my great-grandparents put it there. It was so worn that you could see the brown wallpaper backing on the front of the paper. The white ceiling paper was just as bad.
The new paper - still ugly, but at least yellow and green instead of gray - had been hung, and white tiles put up to cover the ceiling. Dad was just finishing installing a coordinating yellow & green shag carpet on the floor in place of the worn out antique area rug that I could remember watching my little brother pee on the time he sleepwalked to the "bathroom".
I stood in the doorway to my new room, in awe of the colors radiating from it. Not in awe of their ugliness... in awe that there were colors at all. This was so much better than faded and dirty grays, whites, and browns! And dad asked me for a thank you kiss.
I've never felt comfortable hugging or kissing my parents. It was something we just didn't do in our family, until one of my brothers was paralyzed in a serious car accident when I was 14. Almost losing one of us seemed to draw their attention to the fact that life was transient, and overnight they became more affectionate. Overnight was too fast for me, but I tried.
So I gave dad the hug and kiss he requested, though a bit reluctantly because he always gave his kisses on my lips. And this time, I felt his tongue trying to probe. I kept my mouth firmly closed. But I couldn't keep all of the ickiness out.
I tried to put that memory out of my mind in subsequent years. It was a one-time thing, and I avoided anything that might cause a repeat of it, until I began to feel a bit more comfortable again.
A few years later I was home from college for one of our breaks. College had allowed me to embrace the night-owl in myself. I loved staying up late to get my alone time, and I'd often hang out in the dorm lounges, watching TV alone until someone new wandered through. Then we'd sit together, watching TV and chatting late into the night.
Those habits didn't easily transfer back to my parents 7:00 am to 10:00 pm schedule. One evening I started watching a TV movie, and mom and my younger brother both went to bed. I was sitting on the floor. Dad was also up, I think in a rocking chair, but I don't really remember.
What I do remember is that somehow his hand began cupping my breast, over my shirt. I remember a comment asking if those were all mine. Which almost made me laugh because there isn't much now to call mine, and back then there was far less. But it also made me freeze. Because this was my dad, not some college guy in a dorm lounge at 2:00 am.
I sort of enjoyed that from college guys. To be honest, that might be one of the reasons I turned into a night-owl. I was pretty good at keeping anything from happening that I didn't want to happen. Except when it was my father. I froze. I don't even remember what I mumbled... I probably answered his question. I just remember the shock and uncertainty and more shock. Not knowing what to do.
I went to bed, my thoughts still going in circles. I should have done something. I could have done something. But I did nothing. Shock. Fear. Guilt. Confusion. They all spent the night sparring inside my head.
The next day, dad caught me alone and apologized. He didn't know why he had done it and promised it wouldn't happen again. I knew he meant it. I forgave him. But since I didn't understand why it happened, or why I allowed it to happen, I kept blaming myself to some extent too. And I put the elephant in my closet so no one would know about it.
Years later, just prior to the birth of our first son, my husband and I were discussing his mother being in the delivery room with us. He brought up my parents being there as well.
That was a tough one. I wanted them there, more for them than for myself. See, my siblings and I were all born in the 50's and 60's. And back then, fathers were not allowed in the delivery room. Dad begged and pleaded when my youngest brother was born. And his doctor was sympathetic, but couldn't allow it. He said the hospital would lose its license if he allowed it. (Hard to believe how times have changed, isn't it?)
Even though dad wasn't able to see any of his children born, I could let him see a grandchild be born. I wanted to give him that opportunity... that special gift. But after what had happened, could I be comfortable with my dad being in there?
Eventually I decided I could. And that was when I knew I really HAD forgiven him. Up until that point, I wasn't sure.
But the elephant remained, a big, gray, smelly secret wedged into my closet. Not even my husband knew this secret. He probably wondered why my closets were so crowded, but I couldn't tell him. He never had a decent father, and he looked up to mine. How could I let him think less of dad?
I still can't tell him, or anyone who knows dad. I still don't even know what to call the things that happened... my elephant remains unnamed. But maybe I can free a little closet space by telling you.

12 comments:
Lara - sweetheart - I hardly know you but feel like I should just hug you. I am SO very sorry than an adult who you SHOULD have been able to trust violated you - so sorry. I hope it has helped you to get it out there. Maybe you can heal from this. Please consider, however, if the elephant remains, seeing a professional about this. Sexual abuse can really screw us up in ways that aren't always obvious to us. That's all I'm going to say... Hugs to you - (((Lara)))
Daisy
Wow - I'm overwhelmed. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact of your very own dad doing this to you. I'm not sure I could have forgiven him - its such a violation of the parent/child code of boundaries. I'm also blown away by your not telling your husband, for fear of ruining HIS relationship with your dad. What about what's best for YOU?
I really don't want to step on your toes, or second-guess your decisions, but I have to ask: why isn't this something that needs to be put out in the open, even if only between you and your husband? What the hell was going on that your dad even thought about doing this to you? Do you think there were others? Are you afraid it might wreck your parents' marriage?
I understand all too well that families have their dark times; that good people do bad things sometimes, but my concern is for YOU: my gut is saying all is not well, and secrets like this have a way of being re-enacted.
I think you're very brave to write about this, and you shouldn't be afraid to tell the truth. You didn't ask for this, it was thrust upon you.
I'm here for you if you ever need a friend to talk to.
Wow, that's a horrible secret to have to carry around with you all these years. Im glad, and honored that you felt you could tell us, your blog friends, and I can say with certainty that we are here for you if you need support.
I can't begin to imagine how you must feel in keeping that from your husband. But I think (in my very humble opinion) that if this is something you feel is between the two of you, that somehow your marriage would be the better for it, then perhaps telling him is something to consider. Then again, who can really tell you what you should and should not do. It's your life, your relationships, it's for you to determine.
Thank you for trusting us enough to write about your experience. I hope it bings you a little more space in your closet.
Not to diminish anyone else's story, but there is something more sinister about abuse (even one-time) when it is at the hands of a parent or trusted relative.
I hope posting this DOES give you more room in your closet
Lara -
*Big hugs*
It helps a lot just letting it out a little bit, even if it is to strangers. That's one thing I learned big time last month. Up until the seminar I went to, I had not admitted outloud (and therefore to myself) that my house was in foreclosure and had not asked for the help or support of those who I needed it from the most - myself and those close to me. Just expressing it and hearing those words come from my mouth helped me to learn what I was capable of.
Perhaps by posting it here it will let you feel the freedom to then bring it up to the others in your life that are important to you. Obviously I'm not telling you what to do or what you should do - I'm just telling you how much easier it was for me to talk to those close to me about problems I was facing/experiences I had been "dealing with" for years, after admitting it to perfect strangers (who then turned around and helped me and supported me!)
I really appreciate you sharing this with the world, because not only will it help you to let the elephants out (I think that it should be called Morty by the way - I dunno why, it just popped into my head) but there might be others that had similar experiences that they are afraid to admit - and this may very well help someone else to come face-to-face with the elephants that they've been hiding.
Go check your email.
I'll call you this weekend when things calm down.
Know you are loved.
Lara, I apologize for your pain as man... and I thank you for forgiving your father this sin. We are all in pain from our foolish failings.
Your friend,
Marty
Thank you, all of you. I appreciate the concern shown by each of you. I think that making myself actually tell the entire story has gone far in taking away its power in my memories.
It is a very good feeling.
My God, girl.
This is why I hate it when I fall behind in my Google Reader, I come way too late to the most important parties and this certainly qualifies as that.
First of all, I'm shocked. Horrified. Saddened.
Second of all, I'm proud of you for telling it, and I stand behind your notion that the telling it here is enough for you. That's all that matters.
Third, this is what bugs me about abuse: the abused always feel their story is insignificant, that it wasn't really abuse, that all that counts is gang rape in an alley. But really, it's these insidious incidences that happen alllll the time to so many women and conspire to kill our self-esteem, to squelch our power. The most important thing I want my kids to know is that it's ALL bad, that it's all abuse, that no one has the right to make them feel like anything less than whole.
Dammit.
I'm so sorry you've carried this pain for so long. I can't begin to imagine your confusion.
i'm sorry
i'm sorry that it happened
Sexual abuse is horrible, and I'm sorry that it happened to you. Such abuse is an insidious thing, because it twists us up in mysterious ways, and it can have untold repercussions later on our relationships with other people. I'm glad you can talk about it, because talking about it frees you. I once attended group therapy, and the only nearby group was a set of incest survivors. I have never met a group of people who were more shattered, more emotionally disabled, than that one. It was so sad to see.
It's good that you forgave your father, but it changed you forever. Not in a bad way, obviously, since you are a nice person to know. But it would have been best if it had never happened. :(
I suppose it did change me... but I'm not sure how. Perhaps it made me a little less trusting, but I guess that is a good thing, because I tend to be overly trusting.
Forgiveness is very powerful. It takes away the power of an event to cripple you. It doesn't mean you are forgetting anything happened, or blindly letting it happen again, but it does mean you're not giving the bad things control over you.
Post a Comment