I'm the most wonderful person on earth! I overheard it, so it's got to be true.
Luckily yesterday was one of my 'work from home' days. I say luckily for the little old lady who had a flat tire right in front of my house and pulled into my driveway, because most any other day of the week the house would have been deserted. And luckily for me, because I get such a rush when I get to really help someone and make their day. It truly provides for wonderful memories.
She was in her upper 70's, I'd guess. And obviously shaken. I have never seen such a flat tire. It was totally ripped loose from the outside of the rim, all the way around the tire.
"Can I use your phone? I had a blow-out."
I said sure, and invited her to step inside. I sat her in the living room, as I went after the phone and phone book, then looked up the number of her local car dealership for her. I recorded the phone number they instructed her to call to get roadside assistance, and helped her dial it when my phone acted up.
She struggled a bit with her hearing aid trying to hear better, then handed me the phone and, armed with the paper and pen I gave her, went out to look up the VIN. After waiting what seemed a bit longer than necessary, I followed her out with the phone. And knowing she probably wouldn't be able to hear over the wind and road noise outside, I read them the VIN and proceeded to pass questions and answers back and forth between her and the assistance operator.
"We'll have someone there within an hour to fix it," he finally announced.
She was obviously feeling as if she were in the way, and didn't want to sit around in my living room for an hour, waiting. "I was on my way to meet a friend for lunch," she confessed. "If I can use your phone again, I can call her to come get me."
That was fine with me. I told her I'd be glad to work with the roadside assistance people when they came, and I got her friend's phone number so I could call them if there were any questions before she returned. I reassured her over and over that I didn't mind helping her... that they should go enjoy their lunch at Applebee's... that we all need help sometimes, and I'm sure my turn will come again too.
"What goes around, comes around," she replied.
When she called her friend to get the ride, she said, "I got stranded at the home of the most wonderful person on earth!"
She couldn't possibly have been talking about my husband or kids. They do have their moments, but that wonderful? I dunno...
So it's gotta be me. And I've got the hanging basket of flowers that she bought me to prove it.
And a huge smile and great memories, too.

11 comments:
Like I told you earlier today, OF COURSE you're wonderful! Sheesh. More people should realize such things!
Especially husband guy who made you crap on a pail after having pushed out your watermelon. Bastid.
Wow, that rocks! Way to make the most of that situation!
wonderful and I need to stop by more often.
That is awesome and you really are the most wonderful person in the world! Just remember to tell yourself that every once in a while too!
I'm glad to have you as a friend, Lara!
You ARE a wonderful person! I bet that little old lady was so happy to have parked at your house, and what a good girl you were to help her out!
Karma is a beautiful thing - get ready - you're due for a big payoff!
What a fabulous story! It made me smile on a Monday afternoon, and that is no easy task. I've been in positions like that, depending on the kindness of strangers, and there is nothing more stress reducing to have someone kind to help you out. That lady will probably never forget your kindness. The flowers she brought are beautiful!
BG, I don't think he'll realize it as long as I'm around! Though, you DID promise to come teach him sense, so perhaps... I'm counting on you, sister!
Jason, it really was awesome. I had a smile all day just seeing her reactions. :)
Ed... yes you do. Though I should say ditto to yours... I get lazy on the private blogs I read!
I try to tell myself Melissa, but then there's all my natural humility stopping me. Ok maybe that's not the reason... lol
WBToys, I could use some of that karma! Maybe the next person to get stranded here could be a hunky home repairman who just wants to finish my bathroom for me. ;) Cross your fingers for me!
Chanda, It made my day for sure... and I know from experience that you never forget those times of kindness. I've often thought of stopping by the home of the people who helped me when my clutch went out... 25 years ago! I really should someday... if they are still alive (they were kind of old at the time) they might like knowing that I still remember them.
yes you are wonderful
at least if my experience with you, and with your friendship has been any indication
Yes - I love that kind of situation too! You were very kind - and I honestly believe that kind of thing will come back to you - the energy you put out there is returned to you. Has to be that way. May take a while, but it WILL happen...
YAY YOU! :D
ohmygosh, the phone call to her friend made me a bit teary! What a good day. :)
Thanks Cadbury... with me, what you see is what you get, so by now I think you have a pretty good idea of who I am. :)
Daisybug, sometimes it comes back just in the good feelings you get. :) But I wouldn't turn away other rewards either.. lol
Maggie, yes, that was the part that really got to me too. It was just so awesome to hear and KNOW she really meant it!
Post a Comment