
Tomorrow I get my mother's day gift.
I get to drive over an hour, each way, to pick it up for myself. But that's ok with me. Because I get alone time. So far I've not been forced to take anyone along with me. I love my alone times.
And the boys (dad included) are having their annual paintball-birthday party.
A paintbball-birthday party is a great thing. You get to hang out and shoot all of your friends. And pay money for the privilege too. How cool is that?
Normally I get to play party mom. I drive the kids and their gear over to the park. I lug coolers of drinks and snacks. I run around, signing all of the permission slips that various kids forgot to have their parents sign. I collect handfuls of cash and buy many cases of paintballs.
This time, I get to peacefully drive myself the other direction, still with a handful of cash, but cash I get to spend on myself.
I'm getting a new bicycle. I picked it out Tuesday. Comparison shopped by phone Wednesday. Let hubby negotiate a better price Thursday. And I'll be picking it up on Saturday. But it's ok to pick up my own gift because hubby did the hard part. I hate price negotiating!
And then, all I have to do is get my lazy ass onto it. But that's ok, it could use the exercise. My ass, not the bike.
Which is why I asked for a new bike in the first place. My last bike was a racing style bike that I bought when I was in college. Twenty-some years ago. My back problems don't do so well on that bike, so I've been wanting a new one, but it's hard to justify the expense because I just didn't ride it that much. Not like back in college when I had no car and rode bike everywhere... to work, to go grocery shopping, and just for fun.
But I recently realized that I can ride it to work again. Because I no longer carry more than one small case of papers back and forth to work, and I can just strap that onto the rack on the back. I don't have to drop off or pick up kids. It's just me.
And that little realization was all it took for the hubby to take me bike shopping. He was determined to get me the bicycle as my mother's day gift, and to get it by mother's day.
Because all of that riding in college gave me some really nice legs. And I think he's hoping for that again. Though, to give him credit, he hasn't actually said that.
He's trying to get me to commit to put 250 miles on it this summer. I just said, "Maybe." Because I know better to commit to anything. But I did like the effect on my legs back then too.
So when I get home from that nice long alone drive? I think I'll go on a bike ride.

8 comments:
(Nice reference to Queen, there)
Congratulations on your new baby! I hope you get lots of use out of it. I have a used cross bike I picked up at the Salvation Army for $50, and it's in great shape. My darling wife wants a cruiser, preferably pink, with handlebar tassels and a horn. Perhaps for Mother's Day!
Marvin, at the store, my hubby kept pointing at the cruisers with their handlebar tassels... I told him I couldn't be caught dead on one of those! LOL
As for the Queen reference... hehe... I thought it came across better than titling the post "Fat Bottom Girls", which was my FIRST thought! LOL
They make the rockin' world go round!
Happy Mother's Day! A bike sounds like a lovely present, and the time alone even more so.
Enjoy your day and your peace and quiet. Is there a favorite spot you could bike to on Sunday and just hang out?
hehe Chanda, you stole my ending line!
Yes, the alone time is a present itself! I probably can't use the bike on Sunday (it's supposed to be cold and rainy) but my favorite thing to do is to just hop on and ride down country roads and see what I find. There's also this horse farm about 5-6 miles away that I enjoy riding to... then I can sit down with the guys that own the place and just shoot the breeze for a while. They're uncouth and grubby and scruffy, but they make me feel so totally accepted... it's a wonderful retreat. :)
SOunds fantastic! My son is almost 8 but won't touch his bike which is a total bummer because we can't use our bikes for 'round town transport I'd like to. :(
Ride it in good health!
Daisy, I'm going to enjoy it. I went out for about 4 miles yesterday (all I had time for, but it was great!) I can't wait to have time for a 10-15 mile ride.
As for your son, maybe you could entice him by riding with him somewhere fun too... to go swimming this summer? To get ice cream cones? Stuff like that always worked with my kids anyway. :)
I must say, that is a sweet bike.
Rassles, it's hard to see from the photo, but it really is an awesome bike. I had picked out a Giant model, but after trying this Cannondale, there was no contest.
Post a Comment