Which they decided was ok. Apparently I have rather fibrous breast tissue.
I was a basket case the entire week in between the tests. Because my sister had breast cancer. My grandma had breast cancer. My aunt had breast cancer.
But it all came out ok. And besides, my mother didn't have breast cancer yet. And she's in her 80's, so that's a good sign, right?
So this year, I went to my mammogram with expectations of being called back for follow-up. After all, it's not like my breasts will magically be replaced by someone else's NON-FIBROUS breasts from one year to the next. I have to assume that will be an annual occurrence.
And today when I got the call, I took it well. No panic. No tears. Not even much worry.
Yet.
I have to wait 1 1/2 weeks, so there's still time. But I really think I'll handle it better. Which is a relief. I really would rather not repeat last year's mood swings!
But if I do, you can't say you weren't warned.

15 comments:
Thanks for the reminder, girl... time for me to go get my lil titties squished again, too, lol (cuz my Mom *did* have breast cancer! eeks)
Not worrying, easier said than done, right? Im sure it will all be as it was last year. And from what I understand stress and worry is terrible for your body, not to mention your psyche. Keep positive, and when all else fails, eat some dark chocolate.
I don't know if that will actually help, but damm it sounds good.
Hey! Sounds perfectly nature to obsess too me given your family history. As I have mentioned before, my wife a breast cancer survivor, now 8 yrs, and every year the mammogram is a major stresser!! You got to just try to keep it under control, and remember you have gotten through it all before!
Hugs, ray223
Good job on the lack of tears and emotion at the initial phone call. If you need any support, don't hesitate to ask for it!
Now for the next week and a half, though you may have those mood swings and anxiety about it, make sure that you keep positive energy flowing as well - know that you are a healthy, vibrant woman! :D
Talk it through if you need to. I dated a woman with fiborous breasts and we always found things we thought were lumps.
It can be tense..huggggggg
I agree with Bea, dark chocolate helps.
Keep that positive attitude you have got going and do things you love to do. It really helps keep your mind on fun instead of stress.
Lil Bit, yes you definitely need to keep up on that... we like your titties. ;)
Chanda, dark chocolate ALWAYS helps. :) But I'm doing pretty well, and I even made a mistake on the calendar, and the appt is NEXT week, not the week after! :)
Ray, sometimes I wonder why they don't just skip the mammogram and go on to the ultrasound. They will obviously need it anyway.
Melissa, I think last year was just so unexpected.. since I expected this, it's not like it's any big deal. I may be a tad worried, but probably less than before the mammogram, oddly enough!
Ed, what's strange is that i can't even feel the fibroid lumps myself. Obviously I don't know what to feel for.
Ms Q, thanks. honestly I'm too busy to worry now, with school almost ending and trying to coordinate jobs, summer school, camps, etc. So I guess that's a good thing... and as long as there's no shortage of chocolate I'm good to go! :)
Oh babe, I know what you mean. The last mammogram I had, I worried for weeks afterwards, all because of some stupid little scar tissue I had from a certain child who bit me while nursing. The doctors thought it might be a lump and were all "let's do an ultra sound and really freak you out", and it wasn't anything.
Here's to hoping you get the thumb's up soon - I'll be biting my nails for you until then!
Hello dear :) As you know we have some experience in such things at our house. Good luck !!!
You will be fine. You will be, because you MUST be. ;-) I can't imagine getting a mammogram. It must be like putting male genitals in a vise. Yecchh.
Why don't they just go straight to the ultrasound, and save you the heartache? Do they forget how firm your boobs are every year? How could anyone forget a thing like that?
Thanks, WBT, but don't bite nails TOO much. I love nice nails. ;) Hope they remember your "diagnosis" next year!
Papa, thank you, I do remember. I'm sure it'll be fine, but I'll let everyone know after I find out Tuesday. :)
Marvin, I can't really compare, never having felt the squeezing of male genitals from the painful side. I'd honestly prefer it to a dental cleaning though... it does hurt some but it's over quickly!
Jason, I plan to ask my doctor about the need for a yearly mammogram if it will likely lead to this anyway. I'll follow what he says, but I had the same questions you do.
Good God.
Thinking of you, girl.
I have the same problem only I have no family history so they don't make me get a repeat every year. I don't know why they di it sometimes and not others.
Stay busy and focused on other things - that's the best strategy. If worry and obsessing actually did anything productive that would be a different story entirely, eh? Hugs to you - hang in there!
Obsessing along with you....good luck!! Just drink heavily until you get the results!
Post a Comment