Thursday, June 26, 2008

Bad memories!

In the morning, I'm off to the doctor with Blondie. He's having his wisdom teeth removed.

I vaguely remember having mine out. I was 16 too. I had only two out, because for some reason my orthodontist decided to remove my 12 year molars on the other side instead of the wisdom teeth.

For the record, I would not recommend this.

Anyone who has had their wisdom teeth removed remembers how beautiful their face looked. For weeks, the swelling was reminiscent of a chipmunk with a few too many seeds stuffed into its cheeks.

And when you only have one side done? Let's just say the swelling lasts much longer than you think it does. But it's only obvious when the other side has no swelling.

They say that they put something into the IV to reduce swelling now. But if it works, I might curse at the doctor. After all, if I had to suffer my kids should have to also.

And next, I intend to make them walk to school, barefoot in the snow. Ten miles, uphill both ways. Just because.



update: Blondie & I were home in only 1 1/2 hours. I discovered that general anesthesia makes my normally quiet kid incredibly chatty. Couple that with gauze in his mouth because of the bleeding, and it makes for rather strange and humorous conversations.

He kept trying to tell me about his experience. Between the mumbles and hand gestures, I got something about IV's "going in here" and "then I was out and don't remember a thing". Repeated several times. I'm not sure if he was just so fascinated that he had to say it multiple times, or if he didn't remember saying it, or if he couldn't tell if I understood him.

I took him home and stuck him in bed and said, "Sleep." It seemed easier than carrying on a conversation.

He's still got an ice pack wrap around his face, and time will tell as to the extent of swelling. Based on a puffy lower lip, there may be no need for that uphill-both-ways hike that I mentioned earlier. We'll see.

7 comments:

That Chick Over There said...

I still have all four of mine!

Daisy said...

They took all four of mine out at once - I told them do it that way because I won't be coming back for seconds, LOL! I didn't have much swelling though. I had them out in 1984.

So - good luck to your ds! Just remind him - many have gone before him, LOL. He will be fine!

Chanda (aka Bea) said...

Oowie! I hope he feels better soon, or feels better soon once the drugs wear off.

I remember my wisdom teeth extraction, it was not pretty. They gave me all my teeth in this strange felt purse shaped like a tooth (how odd is that?). I lost them as I threw up in the pharmacy parking lot waiting for my dad to fill my perscription. I feel sorry for whoever found those things.

Mouthy Girl said...

Hooray for Blondie! I guess my brief conversation with him last night coupled with the meds did the trick! I'm taking credit for this chattiness. Har!

Glad that he seems to be reacting well to the meds and the slice & dice. I had mine out when I was 21 and thought I was going to murder the surgeon.

Balloon Pirate said...

lost all four of mine when I was 18. I knew my reaction to anesthesia well enough that once I sat up in the recovery room, I would not lie down again until I got home. I knew that once I got horizontal, I wasn't going to want to get up for a long time.

Since my face is naturally puffy, no one noticed a thing.

yeharr

Anonymous said...

The Marine Corps got all four of mine. Somewhere, I might even have a picture of myself in my camouflage uniform with big puffy cheeks.

Marty

p.s. I think that you are a really great mom!

Jennifer said...

Is there any creature on earth more sadistic than a dentist??? Vile creatures, intent on visiting as much pain as possible with their nasty little instruments!! Ugh!! Hope Blondie feels better!!