Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Glimpses



This was my view during the concert. Not bad seats, huh? Unfortunately a cell phone in the dark doesn't take very good pictures. But I could see Neil's mouth moving, without watching the video screens.

As long as no one was standing in front of me.

Being on the floor, I got to use my feet and my chair interchangeably. Clearly, the first song was done with everyone standing. Is there any other way? But after that, we sat down for one song.

And then after that, a few people stood back up. One was the lady I pointed out in the above photo who was sitting about 3 rows ahead of me, as well as her friend sitting two people to her right. A man behind me called, "Sit down!"

The friend turned around, grinned, and called back, "Stand up!" But eventually they did sit down. Occasionally.

About 5 rows up, just before the concert began, I watched a guy put on a shirt over his normal clothing. Obviously this was his 'Neil concert' shirt. It was silvery, sparkly, sequiney. One really classy shirt. Which I wouldn't be caught dead in. Even at a Neil Diamond concert.

I also enjoyed the view of homemade t-shirts decorated in sequins. Sequins are clearly a Neil trademark. But I didn't see any on him... just a nice, black shirt, pants, and jacket with just enough glitter woven in to stand out under the lights.

The concert was filled with people in their 50's. A few older, a few younger. Kind of like a baby boomer convention. The lady next to me, in those final moments before Neil came out, commented that I looked too young to be a Neil fan. I think I love that woman. But I didn't tell her that. I just smiled, and told her that I have 4 older brothers. She doesn't need to know my age. Right?

During the concert, people danced in their seats and in the aisles. They sat engrossed during some of the slower songs. They sang along during old favorites. It was the quietest during the three songs he sang from his new album. Which, in my opinion, were pretty much on par with the quality of his older songs, though obviously not as popular with the crowd.

I was a bit disappointed that MY favorite Neil wasn't played, but not all that surprised. We met two other concert-goers while walking to a restaurant before the concert, and asked them to join us for dinner. During our meal-time conversation, everyone mentioned their favorite songs. The others couldn't remember "Dry your eyes". And while a few relative unknowns were played, the majority of the songs were, predictably, old favorites.

About two and a half hours (including 3 encore songs, one of which was, predictably, my husband's favorite - "America") we slowly made our way out. I was in no rush to leave... I didn't want the evening over yet.

A man behind me, who had been seated in the row ahead of me, mentioned to his wife that Neil hadn't lost anything in the past 15 years. As we waited for a chance at the stairs, I turned and commented, "Well I guess that means this wasn't your first Neil concert."

It was his 5th. They had driven down to Indy from a town only about 10 miles from mine. They had also been to the two concerts I wanted to go to and missed... one in 1996 on the day I left the hospital with my daughter, and one in 1999 that I tried to get a friend to attend with me. I gave up going when he wouldn't agree to it.

The friend preferred ZZ Top. I have absolutely no idea why. How can you prefer those beards over Neil?

Even my husband commented that it was a great concert!

Next goal... U2. Or Marc Cohn. I'd take either one.

9 comments:

Daisy said...

Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Marvin said...

How wonderful! I'm so glad you had fun! Did you wear earplugs? I always do - that way I don't lose more hearing.

Thanks for taking pictures! In a month, I'll go see a bunch of 80s bands. I can't wait!

Jennifer said...

I like Neil Diamond ok. I prefer Gordon Lightfoot. Or ColdPlay. WE all have our demons.

Mouthy Girl said...

Gahhhhhhh! I am so jealous. I was WEANED on Neil, Barbara, and CCR (what a mix!) as a child. My parents loved music.

I would wear sparkly anything for Neil.

And...ahem...I've seen U2 twice. In fact, they were my FIRST concert when I was 13. My Dad took me and a friend. I thought I was in heaven. They are AMAZING live.

we_be_toys said...

Oh you lucky duck! I love ole Neil, even if it does show my age!
Sounds like it was a killer concert!

Chanda (aka Bea) said...

It sounds like it was a wonderful evening. So glad you had a great time.

Concerts are almost like Catholic curch services, what with all that sit-stand-sit again action. Go figure.

ps.. thanks for the inspiration for my current post! :)

cadbury_vw said...

people who stand in seating areas at concerts piss me off

they ruin it and make it so everyone has to stand

by their own selfish actions they take away from the enjoyment of others

oops

sorry about the rant

i am really happy that you enjoyed the concert. a lot.

being able to do something for you - that you wanted

Anonymous said...

I don't care what anyone says, I LIKE Neil Diamond! Sounds like you had a great time! I think you need to get out like that more often, of course, so do I...............

Maggie, Dammit said...

Still. so. jealous.