
I hate lists. I mean, really, really hate them. My husband lives by them. I've seen him running around lost for several days because he misplaced the list he carries around in his right pants pocket. That list is his entire life.
Part of his reason for lists is that he is, in his words, "a Windows" person. He disparagingly calls me "a DOS" person, because I prefer to do one thing at a time. He multi-tasks.
In still other words, I manage to accomplish something. He uses his ADD tendencies to begin things, and then move on to the next thing. (Obviously those are my words.)
The closest I come to a list is on my computer. I have this really cool desktop calendar software that I love. It keeps my life right in front of my eyes. And for things that don't go on my calendar, I have virtual post-it notes.
Simple, and nothing to accidentally put through the washer. And as an added bonus, I don't have to cross anything off of a list when it's done... I can just delete it! (I really hate crossing things off of lists... it's my form of rebellion against my husband who likes to make lists of things for ME to do, not just for himself.)
So, with all of that as the preface, I have to admit something. I've been making a list lately. (Checking it more than twice, too!)
With the bathroom project well underway, I want to avoid another all-nighter. I've scheduled various people to come and do their part (such as the cabinet installer, who comes next Wednesday). In between now and then, we needed to get everything ready for him AND take our very brief summer vacation (a long weekend, but with our schedule this year, that's the best we could do.)
So I resigned myself to making a list of everything that needed to get done before he can install the cabinets. I sequenced it by what needs to be done when. I double-checked that I didn't miss anything. I re-wrote it, because by the time I modified it multiple times, I could no longer read it.
And by the time I got all of that done, everything was totally embedded in my brain. So I could ignore the list, which made me very, very happy.
And now, I'm off to put a second coat of paint on the ceiling, before I go to work. That way it'll be dry when I get home, so I can paint the walls. And that leaves tomorrow for the wallpapering and floorcoverings.
See? I told you I didn't need that list!

8 comments:
Wow, I never thought I'd see the day that Lara made a list...and spent so much time making and remaking it...AND actually admitted it??? Woah! ;)
I confess: I make lists sometimes. I don't live with a list perpetually in my hand, but sometimes it's a necessary evil. Redoing your bathroom is a good reason to make a list - let's hope there aren't any more heinous all-nighters. Reading about that made ME feel tired!!
Excellent! Are you taking vacation to do all this? Come work on MY house next!
*whispers*
I love lists almost as much as breathing. I list EVERYTHING.
Don't cut me.
I also love and need lists. I have lists for everything. My husband once wise-cracked that somewhere, surely, I must have a list of my lists. I snarked back... that's not a list, that's a catalogue.
But - every one is wired up differently, we all learn and retain information differently. Some of us feel genuine satisfaction from crossing items off a list. In a million years I would never dream of trying to make someone use a list who doesn't need to. Instead I would stand with my mouth agape and bask in the miracle of it.
:D
I am a list maker for sure, I get a lot of pleasure out of making my lists...I get even more pleasure when I can begin crossing things off my lists...Its my way of maintainig organization, not to mention at my age lists come in very handy...
My wife on the other hand, hates lists and could very possibly at times hate me...Or at the very least hold me in contempt the way some other couples do...
Sometimes think that if people spent as much time saying/doing good things about/with their mates as they do saying/doing negative things marriage might be an easier thing to live with...
Enjoy that bathroom once its finished and have a great vacation...Even if its a long weekend with the family...
Any more thought to those "piercings" you spoke of way back when...
I make lists of things I need to do as a way to put off doing what I need to d. Im complicated that way.
You certainly deserve a vacation after all that doing of stuff.
Have a fabulous mini break.
You tell the Almighty Supreme Dictator that I said he needs to chill.
You accomplish more than five average people on a daily basis.
'Nuff said.
Post a Comment