Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Why I don't have a dog

My daughter wants a dog. Really, really badly. I keep putting her off. I have never liked dogs much, even though we always had one while growing up.

However, I love cats. We always had cats, and in all of my early photos I was always surrounded by them.

We had pigs which I avoided except when falling on them from the barn stairs or trying to chase them back into the pen when they got out.

We had steers which I ignored mostly, unless they stepped on my favorite cat, breaking its neck. Then I cursed at them (silently of course... I'd have gotten in trouble otherwise). Well I didn't totally ignore the steers... they were good for supper at least.

We had rabbits, which made a good Sunday dinner. Often. Because they were very good at doing what rabbits do best.

We had a horse that I pretty much ignored too, unless my sister (the family horse fanatic) saddled it. I didn't mind the horse when we were behind it in the cart, but falling off of a horse wasn't much more fun than falling on a pig.

We had a pet lamb too, named George. I avoided him too, because once he became a teenager (in lamb years) he was a really mean sucker and loved to butt me down. Usually on the driveway. Or anywhere else he could get at me.

Clearly I'm not a huge animal lover. I have no clue where my daughter got it, because it certainly wasn't from me. I mostly tolerate her guinea pig and her pet tortoises. I avoid the two pet snakes if at all possible.

So back to dogs. I have always been a little afraid of dogs. I even got bit by a neighbor's dog once, in the back of the leg. They knew I was coming over, and as I walked up to their house the dog began growling and no people were visible. So I quickly tried to return to my bike to go home. The dog, seeing my ass retreating, snuck up behind me and bit me in the back of the leg.

Dogs are like that. They may even be nice to your face, but if they smell fear they'll bite you in the ass. And apparently I stink with dog-fear. It flows from my pores like sweat on the 4th of July.

So I avoid dogs whenever possible. Which seems a prudent thing to do, because sometimes dogs will go after you even if they don't smell fear.

Like last night when my husband went jogging. He moved to the opposite side of the road as he ran past a house. Not due to fear, but because he knows that some dogs just don't like people too close to their property. A dog ran up to the road and followed along at the edge of the property until he made it past the property. Once he left the dog at the corner of their property and ran on, no longer watching it, the dog crossed the road, ran up behind him, and bit him in the ass.

He doesn't mind that I like his ass, but he wasn't too thrilled at this dog.

He got two inch-long cuts, one which required 3 stitches. So we spent a couple of hours visiting the nice people in the emergency room.

Did I mention that I don't like dogs?

I hear that the couple who had this dog runs a rescue facility. They take in stray dogs and then place them into new homes. The wonderful little creature that so loved my husband's ass is apparently almost ready for placement in a new home. Once the 14 day quarantine period is past of course. If I were the new owners, I think I'd back out.

My daughter would probably take the dog if we let her.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you now can see...Though dogs are good for some, mostly they are a pain in the ass. If hubs ass is to be bitten, it should be by you. Hugsssssssssssssssssssssss
KYCM

Mrs. Booms said...

Soooooo.... you don't like dogs?

Marvin said...

Your poor husband! Will you send the owner the medical bill? At the least, I would report them for owning a vicious dog.

When I walk near dog property, I either bring a stout walking stick, or carry a gun, or both. It's come in handy many times.

I'm glad you're okay!

we_be_toys said...

Wow, you have some serious bad luck with dogs!
I'm more of a cat person myself, as well - hence the Temple of Bast we have going on in our house these days!
My dad loves dogs, and we grew up with them (Labs), and he always told that if a dog comes up to you growling, then you respond by ordering him in a loud forceful voice to "get outta here!" Oh, and a big stick can be handy, I hear. We get them from time to time; the strays who run and harass everyting smaller than them. I have a zero tolerance for that in my yard, and I've run a few off, just by yelling at them, but I'm not afraid of them.
Any ideas on how to staunch the fear that oozes from your pores? (that cracked me up - good description, btw!)You want I should come kick some dog ass for you?

Anonymous said...

Same thing happened to my son when jogging. Neighborhood dog got him. Emerg. Rm recommended he start series of shots right away in case of rabies which he did. We had dog for our kids, but when dog died after 15 yrs we shifted to cats who required less care, but surprisingly affectionate, and dependent in their way.

ray223

Mouthy Girl said...

Excuse me while I GUFFAW.

See? Paybacks are a BITCH. Tell him I said that.

BTW, you would LOVE my dog - he's a lover and wouldn't take advantage of your fear. Promise!

cadbury_vw said...

i like dogs

but not all dogs

only ever got bitten once when i was about 9 years old. otherwise all the dogs i have met have loved me as much as i love them

just my experience

other than being a little afraid of them - is there any other reason(s) you don't like dogs?

(not challenging your likes/dislikes - just wondering)

Anonymous said...

I too was bit around the age of 9, however, I have always wanted one. (not really sure how that happened) Currently we have two dogs, my baby, the golden retriever and a big stupid chocolate lab. Dogs can be awesome pets but you need to find the one that fits into your family's personality.

Jennifer said...

Oh that just bites!! Sorry...couldn't help myself!! Since I inadvertently left you out the bequests, I'll leave you the goddess's stuffed dog collection. Not a one of them bites!!

That Chick Over There said...

Aww. I heart dogs. Cats are okay, but always a bit smug for me. :)

See also? My dog is awesome. She's the sweetest most well-behaved dog ever. And adorable.

But I'm probably biased.

Zephyr said...

LOL KYCM, I never bite unless someone asks me to. ;)

Sheesh Betsey, how would you ever get that idea?

Marvin, yeah the owner definitely gets the medical bills. And if the dog had ripped the running shorts they'd have gotten a bill for a new pair too.

We_Be_toys - LOL @ "temple of bast" What a term for it! Honestly I don't think I can ever be comfortable around dogs, but I did promise my daughter we'd get one (an OUTDOOR dog) after we build a new house and move. No way I'm messing with moving twice and having a dog!

Ray, they didn't require rabies shots, but they did have to quarantine the dog.

BG, the only way I'd love your dog is if it kept its nose out of my crotch and pretty much ignored me. That's another of my dog pet peeves. They can't just let you alone... the more you ignore them, the more they sniff your crotch and bark "hey, pay attention to me!!!"

Cadbury, I don't like them because of the temperament (they are just much needier than cats), the barking, the smell, the licking, and the crotch sniffing. Just to start.

Nikki, I don't know if there IS one to fit our family's temperament. When the daughter gets one, I guess we'll just have to adjust.

LOL Chick... perhaps I just like smug!