Perhaps it's the issue of practicality. Writing a journal doesn't seem practical to me. Spending all of that time writing stuff that no one will ever read. At least stuff that no one should read.
Blogging is different, in both good ways and bad. I can get out my thoughts, and I know that you'll read them. You'll agree with me (at least some of you will!) You'll validate me. I'm not just wasting time writing what no one can read.
But I can't express the thoughts as freely. I wonder what you'll think of me. I wonder about the safety of posting my deepest thoughts where someone I know might see them. So in the one forum where I could express what's going on in my head, I still hold back because I wonder what people might think.
I'm not even sure HOW to go about journaling, but I often wonder if it might be helpful. Would it be freeing to see the words physically appearing? Would it help me remember where I have been, so I'm not doomed to continually remain lost deep in the woods, walking in circles without knowing it? And would a private blog, just for me work as well, or is there something healing about holding the pen and watching the lines appear on the paper?

7 comments:
I still write with a pen on paper. I plan to leave the journals to my children when I die.
It's just small things...day to day stuff. I was very comforted by my grandmother's journals after she died and I hope it brings comfort to them.
I think there's room for both blogging and journaling. As lovely as it is to write and post our thoughts an receive feedback from real live readers (I still marvel at that), those same readers cause us to stay our hands when it comes to the messier pieces of our lives.
So write it down, see what it looks like, and then decide if you want to post it.
Hey, you know I'll read it and not flip out ;)
I agree with WBT, there is room for both. That fine line in blogging, between total disclosure and privacy is one I think we all struggle with. I know I do.
But even with blogging, I'd never give up my private journaling. It's downright cathartic. There is also something very comforting in the process. I like to journal in a beautifully crafted book (Barns and Noble have tons of them). I like to pour a glass of wine, put some soothing music on, and write. Write just for me.
Give it a shot, you may surprise yourself.
I type too fast to be patient with writing on paper. I kept journals once, but I hate to read them- I was so stupid then, it embarrasses me to read my own thoughts from that time.
Perhaps a password-protected blog would work for you.
Black on white lives forever. I have not had a journal for a long long time, Lara and THAT is the reason why. There are practical reasons behind that - someone might read it, someone could take what I write and twist it and use it against me or against themselves. And then there are some very heady reasons why - some things I think about I never give a voice - in this way I keep them in the realm of "fiction"... secrets... I can't be held accountable for them.
Oh we all have the running commentary in our head. Just let it out; likely whatever you're thinking isn't any worse than what the rest of us are thinking! After all, I frequently (albeit silently) laugh at the bag boy with Tourette's Syndrome at my local grocery store!! I am a BAD person.
Been away for the last 8-10 days, had to drop my son off at school in in upstate NY and we live down here in Florida...Then we took a little vacation to the islands for some fun under the sun...
This is my first day back and after reading that you've decided to head in another direction, I can't say I didn't see this coming...I am sorry in some ways but happy for you in a lot of other ways as you do deserve whatever it is that makes you a happier lady...Gorgeous or not...
Here is my e-mail in case you wish to maintain any contact for whatever reasons; mrarebe@netscape.net...If you do e-mail me then I'll have yours to respond with...If not...OK fine...
Best to you and the family always,
ROB
Post a Comment