When something is important to me, I want it to be important to the people that I care about the most. And if they show me that it is, then I feel validated. I matter to them, because they remembered my important events.
Of course it could just be that they own a good calendar reminder software, but I prefer not to consider that option.
The problem is that I also interpret them forgetting my important events as proof that I'm not important to them. And I also expect it to happen. By not letting myself hope for what I really want, I tell myself that it won't hurt as much when I don't get it.
I tell myself that. But it's a big lie. It still hurts. A lot.
Plus I spend the days depressed, prior to whatever important thing I was purposely pretending didn't matter, so I don't have to be depressed after it.
And yes, that is one hellishly confusing sentence. Just shut up and read it over. Eventually it'll make sense. I hope.
My husband thinks I should just tell him what I want. Remind him of the important things so he has a chance to do it right. Tell him what I want for gifts so he doesn't have to try to figure out what I might want and risk getting it wrong.
He wants an insurance policy. A get-out-of-jail-free card.
Not reminding him is what he means by setting him up for failure. I'm insuring he won't do what I want because I don't give him the reminders he needs.
When he says that, somehow it seems to make sense, like he's really right. He has this way of presenting his twisted logic that just makes it sound logical.
But when I think about it - really think - it just sounds like a cop-out. He wants an easy out. He doesn't want to have to work... to think... to remember... to anticipate what I might like. And he wants a way to make it my fault when he screws up.
But is it my job to give him that?
If I spend the days prior to my birthday depressed, hoping beyond hope that a really close friend will remember it, when my biggest fear is that he probably won't... and if he notices that I'm depressed and pushes me to tell him what's wrong, but I just give him superficial answers and don't tell him it's because, more than anything... and more than anyone else I know... it's important to me that HE remembers my birthday without being reminded...
Am I setting him up for failure?
Is it unrealistic to expect your spouse or really close friends to know what is important to you, and to make it a point to remember? Is it really my job to tell them, or my fault if I don't and they forget?
I'd like to think that by NOT giving them an easy way out, I'm also setting them up for spectacular successes. How can someone succeed if you don't give them opportunities? Clearly opportunities for success go hand-in-hand with equal opportunities for failure. But who would want to remove all opportunities for success in order to remove all chances of failure?

10 comments:
Wow, that sentence wasn't the hellishly confusing part of the post. I was more confused at the end! Now I don't know which way is up anymore, and I feel like I'm being a horrible friend because I feel like there is a Lara birthday or something that *I'M* forgetting! *le sigh*
I personally think it's best to drop hints, that way you're giving them the chance to succeed without having to take away their chance of failing...if that makes sense.
For example, in random conversation you could talk about a really neat thing that you saw that so-and-so got for their birthday. That doesn't tell them when your birthday is, but reminds them that your birthday is coming up and maybe that might be something that you'd be interested in receiving for a gift...
I do know what you mean though. It does surprise me when I get birthday wishes from someone, or when someone remembers something special or scary or etc is going to happen a specific day and takes a moment to let you know they're thinking of you. Even if it's just a text message or something, it does make things special, and makes one feel like they're important.
Of course, when you "set yourself up" for the failure and expected results, you get what you wish for... Remember, gotta keep thinking positively! :)
All I can say is I hope he succeeded in a very big way....so you can be made very happy. I hate to forget important events and as I think you can tell, I think today is a VERY important event. Hoping you have a very surprising and wonderful evening. Tight Hugs for the event!!!
KYCM
This might be confusing to some, but to me girl, you are singing my song! Oy!
I don't think that close friends and especially one's husband need to be reminded about things like your birthday or an anniversary (husband only, and if they're unsure of what to get you, they could jolly well ask, and not wait for you to proffer up a list. This is such a damn issue in my marriage as well, and I maintain that it smacks of selfish, mama's boy apathy to sit back and wait for you (or me!) to let them know what we want. Bullshit! We want you to effing remember to give a shit and blow us away just once a year with unprecedented thoughtfulness. How damn hard is that?
Sorry, you touched a nerve!
Personally I think husbands shoudl remember the big dates (Birhtdays, Christmas, Anniversaries), best friends as well. As for anticipating gifts, well, that might be harder. I think it's okay for the afore mentioned hubby to ask (far enough in advance so it shows he's thinking about it) for a few items on your wish list. Then he can go crazy, maybe even surprise you with a little something you didn't ask for. Something just from him.
Now, I realize men are far different creatures than we are, so I may be off on my expectations as well. But I agree with we_be, it shouldn't all be hand fed to them.
But what the hell do I know? Im the single one.
I married my wife because she was one of the only women I have met who clearly states her needs. She is every man's dream. ;-) So I snatched her up and kept her. I would not presume to criticize your relationship, but I feel for your husband. ;-)
I think you're setting yourself up for big-time disappointment if you don't just TELL HIM.
I make it clear to my Husband Guy when a date's approaching, if I'm expecting him to follow through on something, if there's a specific "special gift" I would adore.
Ask. Just ask. Or demand. (*snicker*)
If he gets snippety about it, tell him you're taking lessons from your mouthy friend. G'head. Blame me. The Supreme One can't scare MOI!
An aside:
I loveeeeeeee birthdays!!!
WoW! I can't think of any reason in the normal routine of everyday life which would cause me to foget my wife's b-day or our anniversity!! I might ask if there was anything special she really wanted, but at the same time I feel it is impt to do something on my own initiative too.
HappyBirthday!!
ray223
Okay Lara - here's the thing. Men and women are essentially wired up differently. (There are exceptions to every rule, but basically this is true). You have the responsibility to make it 100% clear to a man what you want him to remember and what you want him to do about it. Beating around the bush is not going to work for a man. Tell him. Straight up... "Baby, I know that you remember my birthday is in 27 days, 14 hours and 2 minutes, but I thought you might like to know that what would really make my heart happy this year is to spend a night out on the town just the two of us..." When a man forgets a date, (this is important - write it down...) it is NOT because he doesn't think you are important. If a man neglects you after a direct specific request THEN you may have a gripe. Hell - I send my dh a "meeting request" a week ahead of my birthday so he doesn't have the luxury of forgetting.
Bottom line: You are WAY over-thinking this (most women do.) Men are simple linear thinking beings (NOT intended to be insulting - men are more focused and single-minded is all). Don't punish him for the way he is wired up. Help him.
See - if someone has a deficit, those around him or her do what they can to help. If a person can't hear, things are done to help - telephone amplifiers, sign language - reasonable things... to help them be successful. Can't you extend the same courtesy to your husband? And yes - I am suggesting that he can not help it anymore than a deaf person can't help not being able to hear.
Incidentally - the proactive depressed thing?? Come one Lara - you can do better than that! Wouldn't you rather just be happy? Decide. be happy. Help your dh to remember things that are important to you. Then you can both be happy. Isn't that a good thing?
Ok, to clarify a few things...
Yes it was my birthday on Wednesday.
No the hubby doesn't forget it, or our anniversary. But he also doesn't wow me. He wants my gift suggestions listed clearly, and he will often pick one and tell me "Ok you can order that for your birthday." I'm sorry, but if I have to order it myself, it doesn't count as a gift from him! I've also told him places I wanted to go for my birthday... things I wanted to do.
One year I told him two weeks ahead, while my parents kept the kids for us. I thought it would be an ideal time to go. He just ignored me, and then later claimed that he never knew I wanted to do it.
Experiences like the above have left me cynical... expecting the worst. It's pretty hard to think positively or even ask for what I want when I know either it will be ignored, or I'll be given permission to get it for myself.
So this year I chose an inversion table. I told him that's what I wanted. And several months ago when we stopped at the store to show him what I wanted and found it on clearance, we bought it immediately.
So for my actual birthday I got a bouquet of flowers from the grocery store, that I paid for along with the groceries I bought, and supper at Taco Bell (which I chose because of our busy evening, and I happen to love).
The real kicker was that I didn't get any contact from the friend (as I feared), and I let it ruin the rest of my week too. He had his excuse, but regardless, it is MY fault for letting it ruin my week. I chose to be miserable.
But regardless of the above, I still think a spouse should attempt to anticipate what you might like and go for the "wow" factor, rather than use the "I can't read minds" cop-out. Sure they may not succeed at wowing every year, but they should try.
So those of you who think I should tell him what to get... you are my control freak friends. I know it and you know it. You also know that isn't me. So we'll let your method work for you, and I will have to work on finding a method that works for me.
Thanks for all the feedback though!
Quite simply - how will they know unless you tell them?
Post a Comment