Monday, August 04, 2008

Two frickin' days

That's how much longer until he leaves.

Two days.

So much to pack. So much to remember to do. So many tears, just under the surface.

Two days.

*sigh*

(In other news, today is my parent's 59th anniversary. And they were here all day yesterday for the going away party. And I was so flustered by everything that I totally forgot their anniversary. I suck as a daughter.)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lara, the whole sending your young son AWAY to school is gut-wrenching! Trust me on this one, I KNOW. He will mature over the school year in ways you will not fully recognize and on the other side still be your own little boy when you see him again. Our children must grow, this we know, the hardest part is feeling that you have not be able to keep him to yourself for long enough. I am sad to say that feeling will never go away.

Marty

Anonymous said...

OBTW, I have read your post for a long time now... YOU are a great mother, woman, lover, sister, DAUGHTER!!!

M....

cadbury_vw said...

what marty said...

----

i would expect expect that your parents would want you to be focused on your child

59 years is a long time, but they have had their day many times. this is a time about your son.

your focus was where it should be

we_be_toys said...

Oh honey! I'm not there yet, the sending of my child to the big bad college, but I feel ya - I about lost my mind with worry when I sent him on a bus for a day long field trip.
I think the first year you'll see him a lot - there is a lingering inability to do laundry that seems to bring them home more that first year, so maybe you'll have some transitioning time...?

LarryLilly said...

Look at the bright side, he might come back not as a virgin, he might come back with NO STD's, maybe he will come back with only ONE prego girl on his cell phone block list, maybe he will come back.

There are worse things, he might run away to an ex 60's hippie commune, with a boyfriend.

But in spite of all the worse things, he will probably come back and say "Mom, can you do my laundry, I am going out with my friends!"

(I know you wanted to hear this. Thats OK, you dont have to thank me LOL)

Chanda (aka Bea) said...

I think having to send your child off to college (and all the packing planning, emotional tolling that entails), planning and throwing a party, and hosting guests kind of lets you off the daughterly hook. In other words, Im sure they understood.

Never fear, if he's anything like every other college kid on the planet, he will be home soon. Ready for food and hauling a mountain of diryt laundry.

Big hugs to you today!

Daisy said...

Seriously - my son is eight and I sometimes find myself contemplating the time when he leaves and it scares me half to death. Can't mention it to dh - he would love to point out what an ass I am for even worrying about such a thing so early on - but it is all part of my madness.

Hugs to you my friend - I do not envy you - but Marty is right - this must happen. It is inevitable and shows, really, what a GREAT job you have done.

Be tough - hang in there - he will be fine. :D

Marvin said...

Congratulations to your son! I know you're very proud of him.

And now you can rent out his room, so you can pay for your bathroom renovations. ;-)

Melissa said...

Be strong Momma! :) Today is the day, and though I'm sure you're never ready for the day when you send one off to school, you'll make it, and so will he!

Of course, you could make a list of all the things that need to be done to help you out! *snickers and runs off to keep from getting flicked*

Marty said...

I am thinking about you today... Hope all is well- not too much tears- pleanty of laughter- and lots to be proud of...

Anonymous said...

All 4 of our kids went away to school, its the hardest most emotional time for everyone...My daughters called every day whether they needed money or not...My sons would call every other week as that was about the time they needed more monies...16 is young to go off to college, if he is smart enough to get into college at that age I'll bet he will be fine...Worry is what parents do when their children aren't in front of them...I won't tell you not to worry, you will anyway...Time helps and he will be coming home before you even have time to re-paint his bedroom...

As far as being a bad daughter, forget that...Don't know you up close and personal but know enough from some of the things you say or write about to say you're a good mom, a tough wife, and a great daughter...Not to mention a sexy piece of ass...

Rob

Yes, I know its been a while since I've been here, my life has hit a few "bumps" in the road I wasn't expecting...