Sunday, October 26, 2008

One down... 6.5 to go...

Well, my son made it through one week with no more unexcused absences. He would have missed one class, except that I'm really damn persistent, and I managed to find someone to knock on his door and get him up in time to just make it.

He missed only one hour of his detentions that he got for all of the prior absences, so he accumulated two hours to make up for the one he missed. But he made it to 5 hours of detention.

Overall, a net gain I'd say.

The problem? He has to make it through six-and-a-half more weeks with no unexcused absences. His penalty count doesn't reset until the beginning of next semester.

And that door-knocking thing? I don't think I can count on the phone operator being willing to send a maintenance guy up to his room every time he oversleeps and misses his alarm.

I told him that he is responsible to get himself up, but that I don't mind being his backup. I sort of like knowing that he still needs me, even though he's 16 and living on his own in that dorm.

But six-and-a-half weeks is sounding really far away.

7 comments:

Marty said...

My son is doing MUCH better this year - but it took him ALMOST losing his place at IMSA for him to get his OWN act together.

Sam said...

Um hi. I just wanted to say I like the newer flowers. They are pretty without being cutesy.

For waking up? Spray bottle of cold water sprayed in the face.

Zephyr said...

Marty, I don't want it to get to that point... it scares me. The teachers love him. He's doing great in the classes. He just can't seem to wake up no matter what he does. And a suspension could really hurt his grades. *sigh* But as I tell him, it's just one day at a time... then one week...

Thanks Sam. :) The problem with him waking up is that he is in a boarding school about 120 miles from home so he has to find a way to do it on his own. I'd GLADLY spray him awake if I could! LOL But if he were at home I wouldn't have to... I always sang this really annoying song, complete with hand motions (my hands conveniently whacking him at opportune points in the song), and he'd get out of bed just to shut me up! hehe

we_be_toys said...

Girl - I feel your stress - I have a nine year old who is just not doing the work in class, because...who the hell knows why? It's driving me crazy, probably like this is working your nerves! Oy! Do they ever grow up and become responsible adults???

(I'm going have to wait for the sequel to find out, aren't I?)

Jennifer said...

Ouch. I am not envying you at all. I hope he manages to get it together. Hard enough to learn how to wake yourself up when you're 18 and at college; poor baby is only 16 and not ready for that yet!!

Marvin said...

Mmmhmm. I hope he makes it. But if he doesnàt, he will have onlz himself to blame, not zou.

Vodka Mom said...

you mean I'm not the only one who has to kick their kids ASSES? FOR REAL???