Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Today, I Shivered

It's no secret that I've been an Obama supporter, and not just because I don't care for Palin. And today, the thought that the campaign is almost over... that Obama may win it... made me shiver in that "I-can't-believe-it-is-almost-here" way.

Let me explain.

My dad was a farmer. He's old now, so a brother mostly took over the farm, but in my early years, the small family farm was our sole source of income. And in the late summer months, before harvest, there wasn't a lot of farm work to do.

So we took family vacations in late August... long camping trips ranging from one to three weeks. We were poor, but we ALWAYS had our summer vacations.

And he did volunteer work. I especially remember his stories of helping out in Gulfport, Mississippi after a particularly bad hurricane in the late 1960's. I was probably about 4 years old, but I remember him being gone for a month or more at a time.

But his volunteer work began earlier, when he did a variety of jobs as a conscientious objector during late WWII.

I remember his many stories from the various volunteer jobs he did in his life, particularly the stories of almost causing fights when he refused to follow the rules of segregation in the south, and instead insisted on using the "colored" bathrooms or drinking fountains just to make a point.

"Colored", segregated facilities are thankfully a thing of the past. But segregated society has not yet totally followed suit.

And today, I got a shiver in thinking of the message that Obama's election would send to young black males throughout the country. (I hate calling them African Americans... I'm a German American, but I don't call myself that. I guess I suck at being politically correct.)

But while I may not be politically correct, I AM in favor of human equality. Blacks & whites. Gays & straights. Males & females. Dad may not agree with all of my perspectives, but his examples led me to be the person I am.

And the young blacks who grew up in situations similar to Obama... poor, single parent households? Today they see how far their aspirations can go. And even if Obama doesn't win, that change in perception is still a win for all of us.

And that thought makes me shiver, in anticipation of the future achievements that this may now help to make possible.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you will get that win Lara. It certainly looks like it as I write these words.
-Digi

Anonymous said...

Looks good, Lara. We should know shortly!

Marty said...

Barack Obama wins... thank God it is OVER!

Mama Needs a Cosmo said...

Hi Lara!!!

Oh, MAN. Can I ever relate to you. "Colored" is considered the nice version of the stuff I used to hear daily in my house growing up. These are exciting times, and I am so proud of my country right now. (Even though some of her citizens still harbor fear of homosexuals . . .)

I'll be telling a story on the blog tomorrow about how awful my dad still is. I guarantee your jaw will D-R-O-P.

Marvin said...

;-)

we_be_toys said...

I spent the whole election day, walking around on pins and needles, dying to know the outcome. And when we listened to Barack Obama's acceptance speech, then I got the shivers!

Jennifer said...

your shiver was rewarded!! I posted a political blog too. I live in the DEEP SOUTH baby and we're still fighting the civil war. I hope Obama is the shot we need.

Anonymous said...

Very good......

Chanda (aka Bea) said...

Here we are, almost a week after Obama won with a resounding Hell Yes! and I still have to pinch myself. My faith in the American public has been renewed.

Mark Leslie said...

And Obama wins - another small step and giant leap . . . and how wonderful a thing for your father to do to make a statement - thanks for sharing it. :)