Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Ack! (a stream-of-consciousness panic attack)

This morning I almost had a minor panic attack when I realized that I hadn't contacted any utility companies to start service at my new house.  (I would sort of like to have electricity, water, etc when I move in!) Fortunately this is easily remedied, though not speedily.

I spent most of the morning on the phone, and I just realized that I am not certain that I have set up electric service yet. My utility company provides both gas and electric service at my current location, but I am pretty sure that they only provide gas to my new location... at least my confirmation email only mentions gas.  So I am busily trying to figure out who I contact for electricity.  Why is it so hard to find that out?  And why isn't my Realtor waiting by her phone to answer my questions?  Isn't that why she gets paid so much?

And I have to run over to my new town to pay a deposit for water and sewer.  And make another phone call to find out about trash pickup, and maybe curbside recycling... I think that is available at the new place.  But I had the cable tv and internet appointment set up for several days already (gotta keep my priorities straight, right?!)

What am I forgetting? 
PS:  My Realtor contacted me and verified the electric issue, which is now taken care of.  Garbage pickup and curbside recycling questions have been asked and answered.  The settlement check on my current house has been picked up and deposited, so the money is available for my closing on Friday.  I think I'm all set except for paying the deposit on the water & sewer, and getting the bank check for my closing once the Realtor sends the closing statement.   *whew*

2 comments:

Gentle Man said...

Well done. Your new life is very close now.

Zephyr said...

Yes, it's feeling almost overwhelming today... still so much to do, and it barely seems real. Exciting and scary both at the same time.