Monday, January 02, 2006

It's (not) a date!

This evening I needed to get out of the house, so I took any excuse I could get.

I have those sorts of days during Christmas break when the kids are off of school but I still have to work. Hubby went back to work today after a week off, so it was just me, my computer (a.k.a. work) and the kids.

I sat down, the door creaked open... story of my day. Well, not entirely... there were also the screaming fits when someone didn't get her way or one of her brothers acted a bit too brotherly with her...

So by the time hubby made it home (early, thank goodness) to watch the Fiesta Bowl, I was ready to get out of here. Fortunately he was out of beer. (Sure, I can make a beer run. Need anything else? From another state, perhaps?)

No such luck, but once I returned, finished my work, and started dinner, one of the kids asked me if I'd gone to Office Max for the software they had on sale. WOOHOO!!! Another place to go! And we were almost out of milk too... double bonus!

So after Office Max, I stopped at Sam's Club to pick up a couple of gallons of milk and a package of photo paper for the printer. I happened to run into Carlos there.

"Carlos, who?" you ask.

Don't ask me! Carlos is a guy who works at Sam's Club. I seem to run into him EVERY time I'm there... at least it seemed like that to me. He, however, saw it differently. He asked me where I've been... commented that he hadn't seen me there since the end of summer. In fact, the last time he saw me there, I was wearing a pair of shorts. Really short ones. (He remembered that... I didn't! That's how he remembered that it was the end of summer.)

So we chatted a minute or two in the office supply aisle, then I said that I needed to grab my milk and get home to finish dinner. That's when he asked me when he'll see me again. Uhhh... the next time I come to Sam's perhaps? DUH! He wondered if that was it, and I said it was.

Then I headed for the milk aisle. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him following me. He caught up with me as I opened the cooler to get the milk and asked me why I couldn't go out with him. I said that my husband probably wouldn't think it was a very good idea, and proceeded to the checkout.

As I loaded the milk into my van, he came up and said he'd take the cart for me. Then he proceeded to tell me that if we couldn't go out, we could just sit in his car and talk for a while sometime. He promised to be very discreet.

Ok, so this guy was kind of cute, and very friendly, but had I said no at least 4 or 5 times by this point. I thought after explaining that I was married for 20 years he'd take the hint, but he couldn't seem to understand why I wouldn't sneak around in his car with him.

I admit it was pretty flattering to be pursued at first... everyone likes to be complimented on their looks, and to be remembered several months later is even more flattering. Unless you start to feel stalked. I am thinking that I'm going to be taking a few kids or a hubby along whenever I go shopping at Sam's for a while. Enough is enough! Too much is just freaky.

14 comments:

Zephyr said...

I don't think he's dangerous... but you really can't ever tell, and it was definitely a bit freaky when he just wouldn't take no for an answer. I will definitely be careful, and if ANYTHING happens again, I will be talking to their management for sure. Whether or not he's dangerous, it is still inappropriate on-the-job behavior.

barman said...

First and most inapropriate, congrats on impressing him that much that he remembered your last visit and what you were wearing. Also on his being interested.

Yuck however on how that turned out. What part of NO does he not understand? I guess it takes all kinds. I will say hi and a little more to someone that is married but much more than that seems wrong. How stupid at work also as I would imagine that if you said anything to the store they could not afford to keep someone that was a risk to them on the payroll.

Hey I have a Sam's by me. It is only a 2 hours or so drive. I can get you directions...

Anonymous said...

Most of the Sam's Club employees in our town are not what I'd consider "catches". Wal-Mart employees are even worse. Ya think Playboy would ever do a "Girls of Wal-Mart" pictorial? Nah. I didn't think so.

Pradeep Puranik said...

Hi, going by your profile, and by some of your articles, I wish to share something with you. I invite you to my blog to read the articles and poems.

It is my dream that my blog should become a place of sharing subtle knowledge, a place to discuss, to agree/disagree, and to obtain critiques on my work. I would like to have intellectuals, philosophers, poets, authors, thinkers and visionaries - but most of all - good humans beings visit.

I ask that you honor me with your continued visits and that you comment on any/all of my work as you can make time. I will be frequently updating it with lessons I learn from life, and you are invited to visit as often as you wish, and to spend as much time as you wish in my blog.

Thank you in advance for your time.
:)


P.S.: If you like my blog, do feel free to extend this invitation to any of your friends who may like to share.

Zephyr said...

LOL Barman, thanks but I think there are a few other Sam's Clubs closer to me... and I too was shocked that he wasn't the least bit deterred after finding out I was married. Flirting is one thing but he went beyond that.

Anon... you could be right.... most of the people I've seen at Sam's & Walmart that might otherwise qualify for a playboy pictoral would be disqualified due to being underage.

Pradeep... hmmm, that sounds suspiciously like spam to me.

Squintito said...

Lara, we have seen how you load groceries into your minivan. It would be hard for Carlos for forget that vision. Perhaps m'lady needeth a knight in shining armour to protect thy arse from Spanish infidels.

Be flattered but above all, be safe.

Mark Leslie said...

Perhaps Carlos is harmless, but you can never be too careful, because who knows what might set someone off. Especially a someone who can't understand a subtle hint like repeatedly saying "NO!"

Okay, I admit, I have an awfully nasty imagination (I can't help it, I write horror stories) But I'm thinking it's certainly a good idea to have your hubby with you the next time you visit Carlo's Club . . . er . . . Sam's Club, you know, just to be safe.

(Oh, and thanks for honoring me with your continued visits and comments!)

mal said...

yeah, it is a bit weird. He should have noticed the ring and probably did. If he did that may make you "safe" to flirt with.

But Sams Club? naaaaaah *L*

cadbury_vw said...

in dealing with the situation the first priority has to be your personal safety and security.

as you are aware, i am vaguely paranoid and overzealous about safety and security...

while it would be the obvious and likely most appropriate response, i would hesitate for a moment with the approaching management thing.

2 considerations:

1) Carlos could be heading toward sexually assaulting some other woman - reporting him could stop that; however
2) if you report it and Carlos gets fired, does he start to think about exacting revenge? Does he know your license number or anything else about you? if he is that pushy, does he have real stalker in him?

then again, he could be just a testosterone juiced moron - not an excuse for such behaviour (i used to toss guys out of the bar for such actions when i was a bouncer)

i think that having a short conversation with him either on your own, or with your husband along, and explaining to him in no uncertain terms that his behaviour was way out of line, and that you would have reported him already, but wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. then advise him that anything like that in the future will be reported immediately, and that you have kept a record of the incident in case it's ever needed (and you need to actually make a record of the incident with dates and times and names and things)

if he's just a dufus, he needs to be aware that his pushiness borders on criminal behaviour (well, at least in canada he'd be in trouble) and that he may not be so lucky or forgiven in the future

Zephyr said...

Yeah, Sqquint, I definitely could use Sir Squirtsalot... er... I mean Sir Squintsalot around. ;)

I've been vacillating between going to Sam's Club management or just taking along other people with me. I don't like feeling that I should avoid the store, and if he has done this with others he should be reported. But if this isn't a pattern with him then he'll know who reported him and I don't want that either.

What I am leaning toward is going back to the store... with the hubby, but not staying with him inside the store. And if there is any more unwanted attention from Carlos, I grab hubby (who happens to be a 6', 190 lb powerlifter and 4th degree black belt) and we have a little talk with Carlos together... and then go on to the store management.

And for the record, I seldom wear my wedding ring... the attached engagement ring drives me nuts. Hubby doesn't wear his either. I figure I know that I'm married, and if anyone needs to know but doesn't, I tell them.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's nice to be flattered but this was a bit too aggressive for my taste.

Take care,
Tc

The Seeker said...

What a bummer.

Anonymous said...

This is a weird one Lara. I think I would mention it to the management, maybe via a phone call. I've never called Sam's before, but they always seem under staffed. That might mean you'd be on hold for a while.

Be safe.

Mouthy Girl said...

I'm not gonna be politically correct here. All I'll say is this: If I need to bitch slap Carlos, gimme a call. I may be short, but I pack a mean wallop.

(Dumbasswhodoesn'tknowhowtolistentoNO)