Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Three Unique Things

I've been so busy lately that thinking of something to post and actually DOING it has been a rare occurrence. However, a few days go, I had an idea that sounded sort of fun. I call it "Three Unique Things".

The rules are as follows...
Pick a room of your house.
List 3 unique things about that room, and explain a little.

I plan to do this about a number of rooms in our house... it'll be my new space filler when I don't know what to write about. I think it would be a fun way to learn a little about people, so I hope I'm not the only one who does it!


Three Unique Things About... my bathroom.

1) There are holes in the walls covered with white poster board (which is taped on with yellowing packaging tape). We replumbed our house about 6 or 7 years ago, and the plumbers had to cut through the bathroom walls to get the plumbing vents in. We planned to redo the bathroom soon, so we just taped white poster board up (the walls are also white). "Soon" is a relative term. Take my word for it!
2) I hate the flooring. I wanted black and white checkerboard type flooring, but my husband refused. He thought it would look like a 50's diner. I told him that was my idea. He wasn't impressed. When we redo it, it will have taupe stone-look linoleum. I don't care if he likes it or not, the man has no decorating taste. I'm not letting him choose any more!
3) The paint snows off of the ceiling. Well not so much any more... we scraped as much of the loose paint off as we could, but it's still peeling. We hope to redo it before long... we'll be stripping the paint off the walls, covering some of them with new sheetrock, etc. The surface is so smooth on these walls that the paint has never stuck... it peels all the way back to the original surface. So we can see white, purple, green, and orange paints. (What WERE the previous owners thinking??? Green, orange, and purple paint in a BATHROOM???)

Sorry, no pictures. I do have SOME pride! LOL


Coming soon... Three Unique Things about my kitchen. Warning... it might tell scary stuff about me!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Living Room:
1)Fire place is not centered. Made custom shelves (internal supported) and mantle to match and hide the difference.
2)Have some fan looking things on the wall that are actually coral. They don’t go with the room but are to cool to take down.
3)I have the fireplace sealed. Do not want the smoke smell in the furniture. We have candles in there instead.

Formerly Q

cadbury_vw said...

"The rules are as follows...
Pick a room of your house.
List 3 unique things about that room, and explain a little."


proposed rule addendum:

notwithstanding political correctness, male posters may not be allowed to particpate (or fully participate) in decorating houses;

Pick a part of your home or yard or shop (if you have a farm, business, or hobby location) or boathouse, or cottage (but it has to be yours not your employer's).
List 3 unique things about that location, and explain a little.

----

Three Unique Things About... my backyard

1) it has a massive tree fort/playhouse/play fortification in one corner. i built it over a period of three summers for my kids (and me).

the original tree fort was a two level deal that is actually in the tree. each platform is about 6 ft long by 3 ft wide with safety ropes on the sides.

the second section is a rope bridge, a pallisade, and another bridge and ladder construct. the third part is a playhouse underneath the two original platforms (under the tree).

i built a swing on it as well

2) raised garden beds. the soil in our yard was poor (clay) and had poor drainage. i ripped out a bunch of scraggly shrubs/lilacs/honeysuckle (including root systems - yikes that was lot of work) that had overgrown the garden areas when we bought the place, and built rased beds, put in new topsoil and some new less invasive shrubs and trees. these beds are in the 15x30 ft and 8x20 ft size.

i have been adding a lot of compost each year to raise the organic content of the soil

3) the deck: 13.5 ft by 18ft. on the ground, so it's only a single step up, no sides. this makes it less intrusive to the visual span of the yard, and makes it seem bigger than it is.

deck was built from an old deck that was falling apart, and some new timbers

Zephyr said...

Sal, you have a fireplace that you don't use so you burn candles? That IS unique! LOL perhaps you should open the fireplace and set the candles inside it? ;)

Cadbury, sounds like a great yard! We're going to be building a similar deck soon I think... but with partial railings around it I love those big swingset/treehouse/playhouse type things. We wanted to build one but there's only so much time in life... and we didn't have enough to design it, let alone build it!

cadbury_vw said...

lara, you have seen the pictures of the treehouse and deck, yes?

Mark Leslie said...

Hey, neat concept! Very revealing.

I not only like the description of the bathroom, but also the desires and discussions about you and your hubby's POV on it. "50's diner" LOL!

Lil Bit said...

What a fun lil idea!

We're doing some bathroom remodeling, too... er... along w/about every other room in the frikkin' house. LOL

I think you shoulda posted a pic tho.... then we could have a before / after idea, when ya get it done. ;)