I hate that concept. That 'the talk' is a one-time thing. That you have to give it all to them at once. Sit them down and beat them over the head with the facts of life, so to speak.
My daughter and I talk pretty freely. She's still at the age where she thinks mom knows a thing or two. I dread the next couple of years... I know that will change! But for now, she asks me things when she has a question. And when she asks, I go into more detail on related topics, until she indicates that she has done all the listening she cares to do.
Then I stop. Because I'm not the beat-them-over-the-head type.
But I admit, I've been fearing 'the talk'. Because I know there are things she won't ask me. And I really don't know how and where to begin with it.
Yes I do know the details. I just have no experience in how to explain them to a kid that age. Because MY talks from MY parents? Went like this.
Talk #1 - with mom. End of 7th grade.
Mom: (filling out Lara's summer camp forms) You do know about menstruation, right?End of talk #1.
Lara: (who learned in 5th grade health classes & from asking questions of a cousin) Yes.
Talk #2 - with dad. Summer break, sometime during college years. I forget the lead-in topic. Thank goodness for small blessings.
Dad: Sex should wait until marriage.End of talk #2. Whew!
Lara: (no comment. Silently wondering why I'm getting 'the talk' at age 20!)
Dad: Your mom and I are old, but we still enjoy it.
Lara: (still no comment. I really don't want to think about this!)
So you see, my only experience with having the talk personally was only helpful in what NOT to do.
I sort of gave 'the talk' to my oldest son, probably when he was a 4th grader or so. The hubby wasn't too happy about that - apparently it's the father's job. So he conveniently forgot about that, and only remembers how HE gave both boys their talk.
But really, I did it first. Blondie & I were at a mall. He wandered off, as he typically does. And when I found him, in a panicked voice I told him, "You can't just wander off. If I lose you, your father will want me to replace you, and I am NOT having more kids."
Dumb statement, I know. Because he is a bright kid. And his immediate answer? "So how do you keep from having kids?"
Yeah, definitely the topic you want to cover in the center of a shopping mall. But I knew he wasn't going to be put off any longer; I'd been putting him off ever since he was in kindergarten and watched a PBS show on fertilization showing videos of sperm swimming and banging their poor little heads into eggs.
Or maybe it was earlier when he was 3 or 4, sitting in the bathtub. He noticed his stiffy, and asked me, "Does it have a bone in it?"
"Sometimes."

9 comments:
Bahahaha! I like your talk with your son. I would think it would be easier to talk to a daughter, though. I had a couple talks with my "daughter" Alyssa. I even drew up a multi-page PowerPoint with talking points. She rolled her eyes and was uncomfortable, but it was important to discuss. I don't know if it did any good, but at least I tried. ;-)
I've given that "talk" (more like a well rehearsed speech) 4 times now and it got better each time I gave it...Not sure who was more embarrassed, me or the kids who when i usually gave then the "talk were somewhere around 10...The girls always had mom to ask questions of about their private parts as i would only go so far with them...I did explain how not to get prenant and left the "inner details" of a womans anatomy to my wife who is a nurse...Then of course there are their friends who know everything anyway...For a dad i feel i did better than most for my daughters...
As far as my sons are concerned even at ages 21 and 25 I still emphasize the need for respect and responsibility not to mention protection...Just last week I tried to talk to my sons about satifying a woman (My father certainly never covered that topic as I'm sure most dads don't)Or how important it is to make their women orgasm...Just like our original "talk" they knew it all then and know it all now...Yeah right, they do know how babies are made but as far as satisfying a woman...That I will leave up to whomever the woman is they decide to make theirown...
The "talk is never easy but it is something we as parents should do or else the schools will have that discussion in health class...Which of course some of us will resent...
THis being a parent shit isn't all its cracked up to be, sure there are great times, more good than bad but sometimes...
So damn classic!
I like to think that I'll be semi-ok when it comes time for the talk with Buddha.
I used to have to teach sex ed to 6th grade BOYS. No one else would do it. One year I had a mom call me and request that I fully explain the term "orgasm" to her son. He'd "stumbled" on some porn. So sayeth the mom.
I think the key is to keep communication open and answer honestly that which is asked of you. If you haven't had much dialogue on this so far, just be forthright with her and say that you need to make sure she understands certain biological facts as well as your own family morals about sex and responsibility - whatever that may be.
My son is 8 and we have had a few simple talks so far that I feel have been developmentally appropriate - I sort of just field questions as he throws them at me - I don't get mad or shocked or anything - I just answer them honestly and I ask him if that was enough information or does he need more - and I leave it at that.
To tell you the truth I find it a lot easier to talk about and explain sex than I do to talk about and explain violence. Good luck - don't be embarrassed. What could be more natural?
My daughter is a year older than yours. We never did "the talk". We just always talk. If she asks a question, I answer it until she becomes uncomfortable. In that way, we have covered everything. Plus, they did a really graphic talk at school about STD's and now she's afraid of sex. Which is what God intended!!
"does it have a bone in it?"
That just cracked me up!
I don't envy you having to have "the talk", but hey, its better than getting the info from the other kids. I've actually had smaller versions of "the talk" with my boys already. My philosophy is, if they can ask it, I can tell them, so "the talk" around here has been kind of an ongoing series. Oh, and my husband STILL doesn't know about the birds and bees - talk about being raised in a fundie shoebox -sheesh!
That's hilarious. I'd offer you advice, but a) I've never had the sex talk, and b) I wouldn't even know how to begin...I don't imagine I'd be a good source of information. :/
LOL Marvin, perhaps you should publish your powerpoint presentation on the internet for those of us who need some help!
Anon, I think the rehearsed speeches DO embarrass kids. Which is why I've avoided it and tried to let the issue happen naturally whenever it did. I've never made her feel like she was asking anything out of the ordinary, and because of this, she does talk about most questions pretty openly. I can only hope this continues as she gets older. :)
Rob, I think your "how to satisfy a woman" speech is probably really out of the norm! LOL
BG, I'm sure you'll be fine with Buddha's 'talk'. Probably more fine than HG! hehe And now, thanks to me, you know that the correct answer to the "bone" question is "sometimes!" So you're already somewhat prepared for it!
Daisy, I've tried to be totally natural with it, so SHE won't be any more embarrassed than she is. I want her to be able to ask me whatever she needs to know. I only hate the "canned speech" method my hubby seems to think is necessary.
LOL @ Jennifer... gotta love those STD talks. I hope you paid the school a nice bonus for that!
WBT, Sounds like we have the same approach. And I hoped SOMEONE would giggle at the bone question as much as we did! My husband and I both had to leave the room to avoid laughing out loud in front of him! It's not like we could explain to a 3 year old WHY that was so funny! (And I'm not sure my hubby knows all of the birds & bees things either. LOL)
DS - you may not have had the talk, but I'm sure you know a few details. ;) If not a good source of info, perhaps at least an interesting one!
Post a Comment