
There is a robin's nest in our burning bush next to the garage. Whenever we go outside, we see a large robin fly out of the bush, so one day while weeding that area, I searched around and found the nest. The last time I was out there, I found 2 eggs in the nest.
At first I thought that perhaps it had hatched, but I didn't hear any noises. So I checked the nest... and found this.

Apparently a brown-headed cowbird has invaded our robin's space. They push out an egg and replace it with one of their own. I've heard of this, but have never had a nest that was in a place where I could actually see it. It will be interesting to watch what happens.
And a little sad too... that broken eggshell on the stones below the nest lies there as a reminder of the one that was replaced. It's sad to think that something can be that easily replaced. That the robin will just continue to monitor its nest, not realizing that its baby is smashed on the rocks below.
Lately I feel like that broken egg. Replaced... far too easily... my feelings smashed without regard.
My best friend for a number of years has been a single male. About a year ago he began dating someone. I hoped that when this time came, he'd still find a way for me to be a part of his life. That whoever else became part of his life would become a part of mine too. But because she couldn't handle him having contact with me, he let her believe that we don't have contact any more. He had to sneak any phone calls or text messages that he made to me. Which obviously weren't very frequent or in-depth, because he just doesn't have the time away from her to be able to share anything of importance with me.
What's left now feels mostly superficial. Just a broken eggshell and some splatted goo that the ants are crawling over.
And I just wanna smack that cowbird egg into oblivion.

14 comments:
You know, I've had a really similar situation in my life and it made me so sad. Both sad for the loss of a friend, but sad for his girlfriend (well, they are married now, so his wife) that she couldn't see that 1) I didn't want him and 2) She could have been my friend too.
What's really bad is that Jason had a good friend for years and after she got married her husband wouldn't "let" her be friends with Jason anymore so they kind of lost contact. Then they divorced and she contacted him again. He and I were dating at that time and I tried to make an effort to get to know her and she just acted like it was all so weird. It really didn't have to be...her insecurity made it that way.
Or maybe she was trying to get with him. My husband is hot!
Can I just give you an "internet hug"? I think you need one. (And how about I come over to your house and just "whack" that cowbird?
Fondly,
Sir Moses
it's sad that the cowbird is so insecure she can't trust
This might be my favorite post of yours ever.
I mean, I'm sorry you're hurting and all, but... it makes for great art.
;)
Been telling you for months now to take a nice long break and get away..."Away" can be "anywhere", just not "here"...
Sad for the Robin/glad for the cowbird...Does the Robin realize its loss and really feel sad...Don't think so, while the cowbird gets all the reward/s...Fair...???What is fair...???Sadly it has become whatever you can get away with...
I do not say things behind anyones back I wouldn't say to their face...Maybe I'm too honest, but honest I am...
Be happy and have some fun...
I know exactly how you feel. It's annoying, and I hope the pain fades soon. People come and go in our lives as they are meant to. Perhaps it is time for him to go. Maybe he will come back someday, and maybe he won't. At least you have happy memories of the past.
Um, okay, I got the hint - I thought I had added you to my blogroll MONTHS ago! LOL!
Oh babe, I'm so sorry. I hate that you're going through that. I wonder why he feels so uptight about you, or is it the girlfriend who's putting out that vibe and making him choose? Either way, it bites and I'm feeling it for you.
Poor baby robin...damn cowbirds...it's very sad...it's a nice metaphor though!
*hugs*
I know how it feels...Definitely do...The vibrant, beautiful egg getting pushed out by the dull, drab brown egg...the "mother" not understanding that it has had the fruit of it's creation replaced by one of someone else...
Oh gawd don't I know the feeling! It will work out the way it's supposed to though. Eventually the shell will crack and it will be revealed that it's not really an ugly duckling - it won't grow into a beautiful swan or even a robin, it will always be some brown, blobby thing... hehe
Atleast, so I hope for the both of us ;)
I hate that - when insecure women won't let the men have female friends - it is an on-going problem for me - I ranted about it on my blog a while ago...
You weren't replaced though. Don't think for a minute that he doesn't miss you. I am sure he does. But usually men don't have enough balls to stand firm on this issue. Fear of loss of sex. I think that is the only explanation. They can't help it - and there are the rare few out there who actually still have their balls and will stand up to their "partners".
Hugs to you - hang tight. This too shall pass. :)
Im sorry your friend feels like he has to chose. Im even more sorry that his choice hurts you.
I hope that this girlfriend, if she lasts, comes to realize you are no threat to her and you can have your best friend back. I hope for his sake, he knows what he's doing. Best friends are hard to come by, it would be a shame if he were to realize that when it's too late.
This was a beautiful post though, even if it came from a painful place.
You must have had a busy weekend, with no posts! Do tell.
That Chick, I think it's sad because it's my belief that the more you try to hold on to someone, the less chance you will. I suspect in time she'll realize that. But for now it's tough.
Sir Moses, Cowbird Whackers are always welcome here. :)
Cadbury... exactly.
Maggie, maybe I need to hurt more often? Um.... nah!
Rob, I suspect that in MY case, the Robin knows, but just thinks the cowbird's egg is more likely to hatch. Life is filled with choices.
Marvin, I don't do the "going" parts well. They make me whine! And honestly that wasn't a hint! I just thought it odd that you had NO links at all! LOL
WBT, the girlfriend is definitely making him choose. And a friend states away can't compete with a girlfriend in the same room.
Melissa, I suspect that the egg won't hatch at all. It's just gonna lie there and rot. And eventually someone will notice how much it stinks. Right? ;)
Daisybug, I know he misses me. But I also know that I'm too far away to just 'hang out with'. And I know that if you want a girlfriend, a girl friend just won't make up for it. I can understand his choices... I just think they suck.
Chanda, I'm sure she'll never accept me. But I'll deal with whatever happens in the long term. It's all a part of life. But for now, I still might wanna do some cowbird smacking. LOL
This...was actually quite beautiful. And it spoke to me.
Isn't it strange how life sometimes sets itself up in metaphors?
Post a Comment