And it will stay there as long as I can manage to keep it there.
Because it was his towel. And I can't bear to see the empty towel bar. Just the thought of that empty bar brings tears to my eyes.
Yesterday a friend asked if I cried after we dropped him off at school. I told him not too much on the way home, but I cried that night when I saw his towel in the bathroom and thought of it not being there.
My husband told me yesterday that we can keep the towel there.
That made me cry too.
It will take a while for me to get used to him not being here. And that old, raggy blue towel will stay there to help me adjust.
And maybe to catch a few tears too.
(I should note... he's not in college, he's only 16. This is a high school, though the classes are mostly college level. It's an awesome program for gifted/talented students but it's really tough having him gone.)

11 comments:
If not the blue towel, then the cup he used or the music he listened to...There are so many things our kids do/did to remind us of them its something you just can't run from...He is at school not gone forever, its a good thing for him and for you...
Not that we don't appreciate what we have but when its taken away we seem to appreciate it more...The boy will be fine as will you and the rest of the family...
Start making plans for his first trip home, whatever his favorite meal is will be whats for dinner on that first night home...
So its not college but high school for gifted young adults...Trust him to do whats right and be proud...
Just wait until you walk into his bedroom and you can smell his scent, thats what used to get to me when our kids were away at school...
Rob
Just stopped by your site, hadn't even read latest post, and a car pulls into our driveway. Someone delivering freshly, cut sunflowers for my wife. Interesting coincidence!
All the best,
ray223
Yes. The towel stays then. Until you are ready to move it. It's okay Lara - really... This too shall pass...
Even if the Almighty Supreme Dictator had said to throw the towel in the wash, I would have said NOOOOOOOOOOOO to that.
You keep that towel where it is until you feel like doing something else with it.
Your kid is amazing - he's a part of you. You're doing a GREAT job hanging tough on this - your baby is basically in someone else's hands right now. Handing over the reins when he's YOUR BABY is something I don't want to think about at all! I'm proud of you!
I'm also going to give him an internet slap in the head for sending messages to me THROUGH you rather than directly to me. Little dark chocolate loving smarty-pants!
My second son leaves today for his Junior Year in High School. I will miss him very much, but I am proud of his determination to succeed. Next week the oldest boy goes back to collage, I still have two kids at home but the household dynamics do change. That is not always a bad thing as my younger sons will get some well needed attention.
Oh how I alternately long for and dread the day mine leaves!!! The void they leave behind is going to be so large. I feel your pain; I really do.
Poor Mama! I would be the same way. I'm glad the hubman is okay with a few mementos.
Sniffle - they just grow up too fast.
Well, kids do what they do, which is to grow older, move out, and not really look back. By the time most realize that looking back should habe been high on their list, they are too old to change it.
Its part of life, kids always moving forward, while the parents are always looking back.
Enjoy the memories we are not given very much time to stay with them.
Ahhhhh, girl.
I can't even imagine.
Thinking of you.
I can't imagine how sad it is for you to have him gone, and paradoxically, how totally bright and shiney the pride you have for him must be. Leave that towel as long as you need.
Thanks everyone... days are still up & down with all of this but it's getting better.
I did laundry over the weekend, and when I washed the towels, I told hubby that blondie's towel stays. He didn't argue!
I told blondie that I washed towels. He asked if I washed his yet. I told him "nope!"
He's been on IM a bit more. Last night I asked if he missed me. He said he that right then missed my cabinet full of cold medicine. I wanted to smack him for not pacifying me by saying he missed him but I was too busy wanting to hug him because my baby wasn't feeling well. :(
Sometimes I'm sad because he's so happy to be there and I want him to be a little homesick. But mostly I'm proud of him for getting to this point.
Post a Comment