But this morning I found a different topic.
A number of months back, I signed up for the Obama campaign's email list. And for the most part, I find the frequent emails monotonous and a bit annoying.
But today I was shocked. The email I got this morning highlighted yet another mailing that the McCain campaign put out, accusing Obama of siding with terrorists. It tries to capitalize on the 9-11 fear to cut into Obama's support. This mailing comes alongside another large robocall surge with the same theme.
However, I was glad to see that this really dirty attempt to lure away voters by appealing to their fear may not be working as intended. A GOP official in Wisconsin has endorsed Obama due to these calls and mailings.
In issuing her statement, Lorman became the latest in a growing line of GOP officials who have publicly denounced the recent tone and tactics of the McCain camp. In recent days, Sens. Susan Collins, Olympia Snowe and Norm Coleman, as well as former Secretary of State Colin Powell, have all been highly critical of the Arizona Republican's efforts to tie Barack Obama to former Weather Underground member Bill Ayers. Lorman is not, obviously, of the same national stature as these other officials. But her place in Wisconsin politics makes her an influential voice in an important swing state.And some people are quitting their jobs after refusing to make the robocalls that accuse Obama of ties to terrorism. In this economy, that's a big ethical stance to take.
The fact that she is a lifelong Republican -- she left the Senate in 1994 and, until recently, was the longest woman serving senator in Wisconsin history -- now crossing party lines is also of interest.
I understand that McCain is becoming desperate in the final days of the race as his campaign falters, but I'm still in shock that he would stoop this low. I watched most of the third presidential debate, and I was impressed at how well McCain presented some of his points. I still was turned off by his repeating some of the same old tired, already-been-refuted claims, but over-all he came across much better than he has in the past.
This is just low. How-low-can-you-go low. McCain doing the limbo, so-to-speak. (But I guess he IS known for being flexible.)
I'm not the most educated voter out there, I admit. I try to research fact vs fiction, but I get burned out with elections easily. So I tend to make my decision pretty quickly and ignore the crap after that. When things get ugly, I pretty much just tune out.
But this sort of thing just seems so transparent to me. Obviously scare tactics must work sometimes, or people wouldn't continue to use them. But WHY do they work? How can anyone be so gullible to not see through something this blatant?
It just looks like people WANT to believe this crap, so they can have a reason to not vote for Obama that doesn't look like they are voting against his skin color. And that is just another type of racism.
I, for one, am praying that we are bigger than these tactics. Because in my opinion, voting for someone who would run a campaign that uses this type of crap is worse than voting against someone because of his race.
I don't know how to process the concept that anything this low could even conceivably benefit McCain. It seems impossible. It makes me sick to my stomach.

10 comments:
I am so sick of the bashing that I cannot wait for this election to be over. I will not be voting for either major party candidate but I really do hope that the negative tone used by the Republicans will not permanently damage the people of the United States. It is the nature of our politics to "kiss and make up" after all the votes are counted, but with the vehemence being presently displayed against Obama I do know how "making up" will be possible.
I think there are low blows on both side of the isle, not just one side or the other. I will end up voting for Obama, but not because I think he is any more moral than McCain. Both don't really care about the economy - they don't really focus on it. If either did, I would feel better about supporting one over the other one.
There are two camps, "Broken Glass Republicans BGR" and "Yellow Dog Democrats YDD". In the middle are independents.
The indies seem to look past the baseless attacks, so it doesnt work on them. The YDD obviously know better, so the only answer is the preaching to the choir mentality of the BGR and Rush, their exalted leader.
I spend some time at a hobby forum at night where most are BGR. These guys are right of John Birch, in their wolrd McCain is a traitor anyway, but his attacks get them all fired up and all they see is Obama and Marx (Karl) in the same picture.
I keep telling them in less than 2 weeks it will be over, they can start licking their wounds and wonder how it was obvioulsy a far left conspiracy that stole the election from True Americans!
I then add that on November 5, Sarah Palin can put on her Red Ruby Shoes she got at neiman marcus, click her heels three times and say:
There is no place like Nome
There is no place like Nome
There is no place like Nome!
I hate those GOPs - I don't need to know anything else to feel that way.
But...I did go vote today, so there's that.
I voted today too - filled out my "mail in" ballot while online, so I even cast votes for judges with some thought behind each. The dropoff was a breeze, and it looked like using a booth wasn't much worse - HIGHLY recommended if you have the option.
They're getting desperate, Lara. Fortunately, I think that the American people have wised up to this b.s. I think it's going to get worse before it gets better, though.
It is my hope that these desperate, last ditch effort, scare tactics are as transparent to all voters as they are to me. It is my fear, however, that will not be the case.
Personally, there is absolutely nothing the McCain campaign can come up with that will ever sway my vote.
I used to think that McCain, while not my party of people, was an okay guy, because he was a moderate. And then he drank the GOP Koolaid, and listened to those backstabbing bastards. Read their index cards at debates, picked that heinous woman because the fundies would like her. None of the crap that comes out of the Republican machine surprises me - its the people who but it who do.
LOL, I knew Obama was a communist long before the Democrats nominated him. The media blitz doesn't affect me at all. I don't answer the phone, I don't watch American TV, I don't listen to the radio. I'm waiting for when it's over.
I have been loosely following the who disaster we call an election. The attack ads do not work on me. The I am great ads do not work either. And DO NOT mention the way they happened to vote one particular time. I am sorry but it you know anything about how this entire political process works, there are many ways you can twist a persons voting record.
I had this dissertation I wrote here but have since deleted. Let me just say Democrats or Republicans, they only want to get in office and stay in office. They only care about the party line. Without the party behind them they are lost. They care about their largest supporters. You and I are the last thing on their mind. They think we are stupid. They think we will not remember anything. Well I remember.
I do not know who I will be voting for yet but I will be voting Independent for president because I can not vote for either of the mainstream candidates in good conscious. As for Congress one of the races I will be voting for the Democrat because they are the lesser of two evils compared to the incumbent. The other race I think the Republican deserves another term.
I only wish there were more viable parties that we could vote for. The Republicans and Democrats have proven neither can put up a good candidate anymore.
Post a Comment