Thursday, July 30, 2009

Share the love & the bagels

I'm a voracious reader. I have memorized lines that I quote from some of my favorite books. Books I've read multiple times.

My husband? Not so much.

He has a collection of theoretical physics books, chess books, sports books, etc. That he reads only at night before bed. About a page a night if we're lucky. Most of his books will never get read.

I adore books, and was determined that my kids would learn this love too. When they were young, we read together. Bedtime stories at night. Me pushing them to read words as they were able to begin.

And between first & third grades, I searched for the books that would reach them... the ones that could trap them into loving reading like I do. And when we found that mysterious hook, we bought every book that we could of that type. With my oldest son, it was The Magic Treehouse series. Son #2 fell for the Great Illustrated Classics. And the pumpkin fell for Junie B. Jones.

They all got tricked into reading via the bedtime stories. I was a tired mom with little kids and I'd sometimes doze off while reading. And they began to take over because they wanted more story than I could manage. So they corrected my words that I misread. Or sometimes they'd read to me when I couldn't stay awake. Or I'd come back to the book from the night before and be told that they had already finished it.

Tonight my daughter was talking about reading. Her friend Ramona doesn't like to read. She was complaining about having to go read x number of pages, and the pumpkin couldn't understand. Ramona apparently has a daily reading quota.

Pumpkin couldn't understand why you would read if you didn't want to. I explained that some kids just don't like to read, so the parents try to encourage it by insisting they do it. I continued by saying that by their age (junior high) it's too late to learn to love it.

And the pumpkin agreed. She told me that she always thought it was stupid how people tell you to read bedtime stories to your kids so they'll learn to like to read, but it worked. She totally credits the bedtime stories for her love of reading.

And it paid off for her even more this time. She just won a year's "bagel pack" (13 bagels & 2 cream cheeses a month, for a year) from Panera Bread in the library's summer reading contest.

Just think... a good book and a good bagel. What could be better?

7 comments:

That Chick Over There said...

Mmm...bagels.

My daughter is reading all the "Ramona" books and the Babysitters club. And she loved Junie B. Jones.

(I want to steal them from her room when she's not looking, but I don't)

Marty said...

I loved reading Dr. Seuss books to my boys and I have memorized many of his books by heart. His use of simple verse has greatly influenced my life and my work as a writer. My own novel of Greek Mythology (a current work in progress) has a chapter written almost entirely in verse.

My seven year old son recites extended verses from Dr. Seuss and has recently began to recite my own Chapter XVII aloud. It is a fact that children learn to read (and learn to LOVE reading) through the use of bedtime story.

Audio files of me reading Dr. Seuss and my own verse creation are attached below. :D

Green Eggs and Ham

Chapter XVII - Sciron

Marty said...

P.S. Congrats to the Pumpkin!

So Not Wishy Washy said...

GAH!!!! This is GREAT NEWS! You tell that pumpkin that I am so proud of her!

You know how I feel about reading - we have hundreds of books in the house for Butter to read and go to the library 2-3 times a week. He's a reader.

I think I just figured out what I want to be when I grow up: a read-loud lady who owns an independent book store. Wanna go in on the venture with me?

A Free Man said...

One of the things I miss from the states is Asiago cheese bagels from Panera Bread - or The St. Louis Bread Company, as I remember it.

I love reading to the boy, though at this age I'm kind of sick of some of the books. But I persevere because I know how much it will mean ultimately. q

Zephyr said...

Chick: my daughter never read the Babysitter's Club books, but I hear they're good. Junie B Jones are adorable though... I DID steal them from MY daughter's room a few times! hehe

Marty: I've noticed, in my limited time to browse your writings, quite an affinity for verse! I haven't had the time yet to listen to your readings but I look forward to it when I return from yet another kids' doctor appointment!

SNWW: I would ADORE owning a bookstore. In fact, a few months ago I was considering applying for a job in a local bookstore, but I decided that it was not the right time for me to change my entire career path. Someday though... :)

Free Man: Actually I have to admit... I have never eaten a Panera bagel! (There was a bit of run on her first month's supply so I let the rest of the family have them.) I'll make sure to get a cheese one next month though... this month their stock was low and she ended up with 8 chocolate chip and 5 cinnamon bagels. And maybe it's time you go book-shopping with the kid? Just to find something more fun to read. :)

Marvin said...

The best thing about bagels is that they don't leave crumbs in bed.