Monday, April 11, 2011

Ick

I haven't gotten enough sleep in two nights now.

Saturday night was my 30 year high school class reunion.  It was a great time.  I have a very small class, and around half of the classmates came, so we had good turn-out percentagewise, even though we're not so mighty in number.
I didn't get to bed until 1:30, and soon after Hyper-Puppy (HP) woke me up from her crate downstairs, whining.  I took her out to spare my daughter having to do it, but all she wanted to do was bark at the strange things she saw in the dark.  She got my daughter up a few more times through the night with her diarrhea.

A dog with diarrhea is a wonderful thing.

Last night was more of the same, except it was all me.   This morning I woke up at 6:45 to the yips that were saying, "Let me out," and came downstairs to find a lovely crate full of surprises.  My daughter spent the night with a friend, so I got the puppy joy, diarrhea, and doggy vomit all to myself.

So now, the washer is running, the crate is wiped down and re-stocked with one small blanket and no food or water.  I took HP out for more diarrhea, along with a few yelps of pain as she tried to pass more.  She is back in her crate, and has resigned herself to laying down, though she seems to have stomach pain and was pretty unwilling to do so.

And I'm nervously waiting for the vet to open.  It's funny... when it was my kids up all night like this, I just cleaned them up and knew what to do.  I knew when to wait it out, and when to call the doctor.  But I'm new to the joys of doggy sickness.  How do you know when to worry?

3 comments:

Richard said...

Worry - she might have eaten something. Feed her brown rice with hamburger - cooked of course until all is well again. Watch for a fever as well.

Zephyr said...

She's doing SO much better today... the shot the vet gave her to calm her stomach, along with the meds to slow down the exits from the other end made a huge difference. She was begging for food ALL day yesterday, but other than being whiny and hungry, she seemed fine.

We'll see how much energy she has at the dog park tonight, and then we'll know if she's back to normal or not.

Zephyr said...

PS: And isn't she an adorably sweet puppy? Look at that cute face and those sweet puppy-dog eyes... :)