Tuesday, June 14, 2011

100 Dreams

Those of you who know me well are very aware that I am anti-list.

Part of that is because my almost-ex lived by lists, and in his mega-controlling way, would leave lists of things for the children and me to do too. (So I would passive-aggressively refuse to cross items off of his list after I did them, just to annoy him.)

So imagine my surprise when, after reading this post about lists, I actually am considering doing it?

I'm not sure why I'm having this potential change of heart, but I think it has to do with my lack of direction. I have spent too many years knowing that I couldn't have dreams. I knew that it didn't matter what I wanted, if it conflicted with the almost-ex's goals. So it was better for me to not try to have any dreams, because then I wouldn't be disappointed at not getting what I wanted.

And somewhere along the way, I almost forgot how to have hopes and dreams. After deciding that my life gave me no future, my initial thoughts about my hopes were pretty simple. But now, as I relax from the years of stress and realize it's ok to dream, the idea is becoming more appealing. I like the thought of listing all sorts of things I want to do in my life. I like the idea of focusing my dreams.

Some will be simple, of course. Maybe I'll even cross them off the list as I do them!

And some will probably be ridiculously expensive. But that's what makes them dreams right?

3 comments:

Richard said...

Sounds like its time for a bucket list...

Sage said...

Perhaps Richard... but most likely a private one. I'm not sure that EVERYTHING needs to be shared!

jmburton said...

i find that lists, or at least notes, help me stay on track when the PTSD and other fugue momnets come to live inside my head

they help me remember because when i am under stress i can get so very distracted