Friday, June 24, 2011

Utensils optional

I got some great suggestions for the book club menu, but I was out of town yesterday and I didn't have time to get all of the supplies I needed. So I had to simplify and make a few modifications to what I wanted. Here's the final menu I decided on. Most of the items could be tied into the book at least slightly, so I figured it's as good as I can do given my busy schedule this week.

And as a bonus, as I was unpacking a box a few weeks ago, I found a paper-mache sculpture that the pumpkin did for a school book report project a year or two ago. It was only as I was preparing things for the dinner that I realized it was supposed to represent Katniss! So I even have something applicable for decorating the table!

The main question yet is... do I, or do I not, allow them to use utensils? When we did Snow Flower and the Secret Fan we had chinese food and chopsticks (with regular utensils optional). So I could probably get buy with letting them forage for their utensils... It all depends on how much of an ornery shit I choose to be.

Time will tell!

Appetizer:
  • Cheese & crackers, including pita crackers (aka Peeta... bad pun I know!) and goat cheese spread with herbs

Main Course:
  • Grilled chicken legs & thighs, basted with my homemade vinegar-based barbecue sauce
  • Steamed baby carrots
  • Spring greens & herb tossed salad (including dried cherries, mushrooms, & sunflower seeds)
  • Various breads: 3 types of 'crusty rolls' - one with sesame seeds, one with poppy seeds, and one with some other unidentifiable seeds, croissants, and homemade whole wheat bread with green food coloring in it

Dessert:
  • Fresh strawberries & fruit dip
  • Miniature cookies & brownies

Beverages:
  • Mint tea
  • Wine

No comments: