
Now some of you may not find this as exciting as I do, but my heart is pounding. Really Fucking Hard. I just got Neil Diamond tickets. Pretty damn good tickets. Paid $280 for them, but at least I got them!
"And this is exciting WHY," you ask?
I grew up with Neil. Not literally, of course. He's a little older than me. But one of my brothers loved him. So I heard a lot of his music.
And pretended I hated it. Just because that's what you do when you're a brother and sister.
But really, I didn't.
Some of his songs are so poignant that they make me shiver.
That line...
Here's to the songs we used to sing.How real is that?
Here's to the times we used to know.
It's hard to hold them in our arms again,
but hard to let them go...
I played that song in the labor room when my daughter was trying to be born, as I waited for the doctor to arrive to administer the pitocin. It was a long night, and Neil was there with me.
She was born just two days before he played a concert in a nearby town. A concert I wanted to go to so badly that I was almost willing to risk sitting on bleacher seats just two days after giving birth.
Almost willing. I may be stupid, but not THAT stupid.
Besides, I couldn't be sure that she wouldn't be even later, and cause me to miss the concert. So I had to pass.
But this time? I'll be driving farther. I'll be spending more money. But I'll be on the floor level of the Conseco Fieldhouse in Indy.
And probably fighting back tears at finally getting there.
His voice now isn't like it was back on those albums I listened to in the 1970's. But for some reason, that doesn't even matter to me. Cause I get to see Neil. Finally.
Edit: See that map up there? I'll be in section F-2. Yes, really.

16 comments:
I am I saaaaaaaaaaid
to no one therrrrrre
and no ONE! heard AT! all NOT!
even the chairrrrrrr
*sniff*
That's awesome Lara! :)
i'm really happy for you to get this chance
i had an experience like yours getting to go see supertramp
SHUT UP!
Like I said in my text - I AM JEALOUS! You have no clue! (Actually, you likely DO!)
My sisters and I have a pact promising that if we ever get tickets, we're going together.
I would never mock you for loving Neil Diamond - he's a guilty pleasure of mine as well! I even went and saw The Jazz Singer years ago, in the theatre and cried, so I cannot ever mock another Neil fan.
I AM insanely jealous that you have such good seats - any chance you can get backstage, a la groupie? I can't wait to hear all about it!!!!
Maggie, you know I never really listened to the words of that song before Brooke sang it on American Idol this past week. (Which, for the record, I ONLY watched because it was Neil Diamond week!) It really is a great song!
Melissa, now if I only had someone to take other than the hubby... who will NOT appreciate this awesome opportunity, and is already bitching at the cost. *sigh*
Cadbury, I'm excited too, but a bit of the excitement wore off at the hubby's response when I answered his "how much did they cost" query. He has such a way of taking the fun out of things for me.
BG... if you wanna meet me in Indy, I would be willing to bet that hubby guy would gladly sell you his $140 ticket. LOL I was gonna go in 1996 with my brother, but the handicapped section was sold out by the time I realized he was doing this concert, and I didn't want to go if my brother couldn't.
WBT, I wouldn't have a clue about how to get backstage passes! Is it enough to just look cute and hopeful once I get to the concert? LOL
But....he has NEVER sung about car crash whores, to my knowledge, anyway!! I used to like Neil until we went camping and the people at the campsite next to us played the same casette (remember those???) over and over and over again. I was ready to crackle freakin' Rosie right out of existence!!!!!
Yes I remember those. I'm old, in case you didn't know. LOL
I went camping next to someone like that a while back.. they played The Bangles "Manic Monday" nonstop. If they hadn't packed up to go home on Sunday, they probably wouldn't have MADE it to Monday.
Woohoo! I don't know much of his catalogue, but "America" is a wonderful song, so hopeful. I love that synth at the end.
My last concert was awwwwwesome, just like yours will be. I am so pleased for you!
http://peanutbutterandpickles.blogspot.com
/2006/10/wonderful-concert.html
I brought a NeilDiamond 45 back in the 70's "Shilo." Still have it.
I'm a big NeilYoung fan, still going to concerts. A friend kids me all the time about him, a la, "Isn't that Neil Diamond the guy you like?", etc., etc.
You enjoy, you desserve it, money and time well spent, my dear!!
ray223
AWE.SOME!!!! I love Neil Diamond too! You know, I am sure, "Sweet Caroline"? Well I used to sing it to my son like this:
Sweet son of mine
(bah-bah-bum)
And so on and so forth... I absolutely look forward to an update!
You will have a blast, Neil is a showman.
Marvin, that sounds like an amazing concert! Devo would be a riot to see in person!
Ray, Shiloh is great... I have a music book that came along with my brother's album that contains that song. I used to play it on piano a lot... along with a few others like Red, Red Wine... Good stuff. (the songs, not my piano ability... lol)
Daisy, that is such a sweet story! Does your son still remember that?
Ed, I'm sure I'll have a blast. I've heard he really puts on a concert.
I will be but a mere 15 minutes away.........should you get caught high and dry with a ticket on concert night........just sayin'
Edge, I doubt hubby would let me go without him (not because he loves Neil, but just because he's a worry wart! LOL) But if he does, I know my next-door neighbor would gladly fill his place. He has already texted me a couple times about being jealous! So I wouldnt' hold my breath.
Post a Comment