Over the weekend while he was home (his first break home since we took him down on Aug 6), I kept asking him for hugs.
Which he dutifully doled out every time I asked.
I told him I was stocking up on them because the next break isn't until October. I'm not sure if you can stock up on hugs or not, because yesterday and today I was feeling rather un-stocked.
Seriously un-stocked.
I got an email today from his old Biology teacher. He visited his old school on Tuesday morning before I took him back, and the teacher commented about how he looked and sounded so much happier now, and that it appears that the move was a good one for him.
I'd have to agree. He's where he should be. He's making friends. He's branching out and socializing. He's finding himself. And he's finally just ONE of the smart kids. He's finally being challenged, yet he's not the smartest kid in his school so he can also feel like he fits.
And it's important for a kid to fit. I get that. But I still miss him like crazy.
When I dropped him off, I dragged out the goodbye by asking if he wanted to go out to get supper with me.
Duh... Steak & Shake or the dining hall. Which to choose...
When we got back to the dorm, I asked for a goodbye hug.
Me: I need another hug before I go.
*long hug*
Me: Do I have to let go?
Blondie: Yes.
Me: How soon?
Blondie: Now would be good.
*sigh*
I'm back to crying again. Not as much as a month ago, but I'd guess his newest towel's in for a long stay on the bathroom rack.

6 comments:
Poor Mama - don't those kids know how hard it is for us to let them go? I hear it gets easier - I hear, but I'm not saying I beleive it!
I'm unhinged taking my oldest to kindergarten for a half day every day. I'm going to need to be sedated when he goes to college.
I wish you the best of luck in dealing with your son's absence. And plenty of kleenex. The 3-ply kind.
Hugs to you - this is genuinely hard stuff... :(
Glad to hear things are back to normal... I think. I can't imagine how tough it is to let your baby fly solo for the first time. The fact that he willingly gives you hugs on demand speaks highly of you as Mom. Not all teenage boys would do that.
I've got extra tissues over here if you need em.
Oh, hon.
(((you)))
We be toys - I know I had no idea how hard it might have been for my parents when I went to college. And I doubt my son knows either. But he IS a good sport about the hugs. :)
Praying to darwin - I cried when he went to kindergarten too. LOL But yeah it's tougher knowing he doesn't come home at the end of the day. I just never figured he'd leave home at 16, and I'm feeling really unprepared for this!
Daisy - I suppose it'll get easier each time. At least I hope so.
Chanda, I think that's one reason I miss him so much too.. the hugs. He used to just out of the blue say "Mutti - do you need a hug?" I miss that SO much. He just always knew when I need one, and he's not here to give them. :(
Thanks maggie... now can you just call me mutti too? lol
Post a Comment