One thing I have loved about my upcoming life on my own is the opportunity to attend only one church.
For 25 years, I have been alternating between my church and his. I always felt it was more important to attend together than it was to attend just one church. When people asked me how that could work, I always said, "I have found that when you look for differences, you will find them. And when you look for similarities, you will also find them. I have chosen to look for the similarities."
But that pattern meant I was unable to really participate in either church. I wasn't able to always be present when the choir sang, so eventually being in choir became more effort than it was worth. I didn't make the same friendships because I never really knew what was going on with people.
Yesterday, for the first time, I went alone to my church rather than attending my husband's church with the others. I wish the pumpkin would have been with me, but it was nice to just be there, regardless. I always get more from the service at my church than I do from the Catholic services. And lately, I seem to find something every time that speaks to me.
Yesterday's sermon was about the story of Nicodemus coming to Jesus to ask what he had to do to be saved, and Jesus telling him that he had to be born again. The sermon likened this to God giving us a "re-do" in life.
But I already knew that I've been given a re-do. And the process of figuring out what I'm going to do with this re-do is turning out to be both scary and fascinating.
For 25 years, I have been alternating between my church and his. I always felt it was more important to attend together than it was to attend just one church. When people asked me how that could work, I always said, "I have found that when you look for differences, you will find them. And when you look for similarities, you will also find them. I have chosen to look for the similarities."
But that pattern meant I was unable to really participate in either church. I wasn't able to always be present when the choir sang, so eventually being in choir became more effort than it was worth. I didn't make the same friendships because I never really knew what was going on with people.
Yesterday, for the first time, I went alone to my church rather than attending my husband's church with the others. I wish the pumpkin would have been with me, but it was nice to just be there, regardless. I always get more from the service at my church than I do from the Catholic services. And lately, I seem to find something every time that speaks to me.
Yesterday's sermon was about the story of Nicodemus coming to Jesus to ask what he had to do to be saved, and Jesus telling him that he had to be born again. The sermon likened this to God giving us a "re-do" in life.
But I already knew that I've been given a re-do. And the process of figuring out what I'm going to do with this re-do is turning out to be both scary and fascinating.
No comments:
Post a Comment