Thursday, October 02, 2008

The Power of "No"

I just learned something last month. Something that I should have learned at about age two but apparently unlearned at some point in my life.

I learned how awesome it is to say, "No."

See, all that stress I was under in July and August wore me out. As you probably could tell by my strangled blog posts. I promised myself that I'd make it past the big end of August goal that I'd promised hubby we'd make (his goal, not mine, but I DID promise).

And I made it. Barely, but I kept pushing myself with little sleep, fighting my perfectionistic attitudes and forcing myself to settle for just a bit more than was feasible instead of having everything perfect.

And it got done. It wasn't perfect, but it was ok.

But I also promised myself that when that deadline was past, I was going to take care of me. Remember the post I made about depression? I lied. I didn't call.

But I would have, honest. Except that I found something out about myself - if I stand up for myself, I am ok.

The depression was coming from giving up myself for someone else's goals. From putting more of me into it than I had available to put in.

When deadline day hit, and everything was done as well as it could be in the time we had, I just crashed. Did nothing. And later in the day when the hubby mentioned what we were going to start doing next, I calmly said, "No."

"Oh, I didn't mean today. We'll wait a day or two," was his oh-so-generous response.

I reiterated my opinion. "No."

"What do you mean, 'No'?" he asked.

I wanted to sarcastically ask him which letter he didn't understand... the 'N' or the 'O'... but I didn't. Pat me on the back for my tact - it doesn't appear often!

Instead I proceeded to tell him that I had been stressed beyond my ability to handle it for too long and it had caused too much depression, and what he was asking for was not something I could or would handle. So my answer was "No."

He wasn't happy. But oddly enough, I was.

I felt as if a weight had lifted off of me. I had successfully stood up for myself! And I realized that my depression was stemming mostly from not focusing on myself and what I needed.

So I decided to hold off on using the counseling option offered by my work. I'll be getting an annual physical soon, and mentioning it to my doctor at that point. But I'm feeling so much better that I just decided to save the free sessions for sometime when we actually need them. Right now I don't.

And that is the power of "No."

Why couldn't I have learned that at age two like any normal toddler? It'd have made the past few months a lot more sane!

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

My friend Nancy could use some pointers!! The scum neighbor who she hates asked her to walk his dog this morning and she nodded yes like a bobble head. I wanted to hit her. She hates him and his dog, but she is powerless to say "NO"!!! Instruct her Mr. Miagi!!!

A Free Man said...

I don't think it's all that abnormal, lots of us are people pleasers. I still find it incredibly difficult to say no to a lot of people. Well done, though!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I felt better just lving vicariously through your "No". I love saying no, when I can find the courage. There's a second or two of apprehension, then sweet, blissful freedom!

Mouthy Girl said...

Love, love, love saying NO! Very good times!

I said it today at work and felt liberated! Check your email -you'll get all the dirt!

I'm proud of you, woman!

That Chick Over There said...

I suck ass at saying no. That is why I've barely had time to breathe lately.

Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Maybe you'll get some more appreciation for the times you say "yes", too.

Marty said...

No! can be good too - imagine that!

loveyh said...

Good for relearning that No word. Why is it so hard for us to say??

Marvin said...

Congratulations! Women are enculturated to say "Yes" and to sacrifice their own well-being for others. It takes a lot of strength to demand that one's own needs be met for a change. I'm glad for you!

I hope you talk to your doctor anyway, though. Depression= Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired=HALT. Three of the four symptoms, and you've got depression. Eliminate a couple, and you're much better. Congratulations!