Friday, April 29, 2011

Just shoot me now

I have some triggers... things that instantly set me off.  I'm trying to work at defusing them, but it's not working.

Comments, even joking ones, along these lines cause an instant reaction, and not a good one.  Any one of these can trigger almost instantaneous anger, emotional shutdown or a panic attack... or all of the above.
  • Joking about the length of an email that I send
  • Commenting that my feelings about something aren't appropriate
  • Joking comments about something that is special or important to me
  • Being angry at me
Unless you're really interested, I won't  go into any detail on why these trigger me.  My question is how you learn to move beyond the triggers and desensitize them?  How can you take away their power to control you?

5 comments:

Marty said...

Gee - I hope that anything that I said has not upset you... though I do imagine it is probable with my constant foolish wordplay.

But really, the thing I try to remember it that EVERYONE has only one point of view - their own! When I realized that I stopped reacting to other people as if they had directly insulted me somehow.

Yes, that means at times I am truly obtuse and I do miss the ACTUAL insults hurled my way... but, I find, THAT character flaw far better than making myself crazy over falsely perceived slights.

P.S. With all that being said, I guess it is appropriate that my "word verification" almost reads BIGMOUTH (bigamout)-hah!

Gentle Man said...

Gee - I'm with Marty: I'm hoping I haven't hurt you.

The one thing that has helped me desensitize is to trust that there is always a good intention.

Digi said...

I always try to remember that a feeling is ALWAYS true. It just exists, and is a feeling. There are no values attached to it, no morals, and it cant be judged. It just is.

Zephyr said...

Oh, don't worry, it's no one in particular... and it's most often those I am closest too.

@ GM - I may see the intention, and that can help me get over the reaction more quickly, but I've not yet found that it helps prevent it from happening.

I hate feeling this way.

Sharon Rose said...

Details. . . . email me. Been here before. Sometimes I go back there.