Thursday, June 30, 2011

It's that time again...

Yep. Chicago, here I come. If you can't tell, I'm just a little excited about my vacation.

It begins tomorrow, with our biennial (every other year) family reunion. My mom's remaining brothers and sisters, along with all of the cousins who can make it, converge in some predetermined location and get reacquainted. It's always a fun time, and this year it is even more convenient because it's located at my brother's farm, about a half hour's drive away from my home.

The kids and I will be squeezed together into one tent because I am too lazy to set up more than one. There will be popcorn over the campfire, a zipline over the pond (where you can also fish or swim), and random other farm-like activities. My brother has a miniature horse, along with numerous full-sized horses. There's a "rock" climbing wall in his barn loft. Chickens prolifically produce eggs, which will feed us all both Saturday and Sunday mornings. He's having a hog roast Saturday evening. You name it, he's probably got at least one.

And then on Sunday afternoon, once I pack up all the dirt and mess from camping, I drop off the kids at the ex's house, and rush home to clean up and head for Chicago. There I will meet numerous U2 fanatics (some friends, some I've never met) who are converging on the Windy City for the long awaited return of the band. We'll be spending untold hours in the GA line on Tuesday (probably even beginning sometime Monday), hoping for one of the coveted spots on the rail. (Wish me luck!)

Tuesday morning my daughter will be joining me, and will get to attend her first "real" concert (i.e. not some old-timer band at the annual county fair). I'll get her headed back home on Wednesday afternoon, before finishing my vacation alone with my friends.

She's pretty excited about it too. And especially I think it rocks that my 15 year old daughter is so psyched to hang out with her mom at a concert. :)

See you when I get back.

3 comments:

Richard said...

Well - Try not to have TOO much Fun!

Marty said...

Hey, I'm in Chicago land too… but I have to go back to work this week - no more vacation fun for me. ;(

Sage said...

Richard... I behaved quite well, and it was an AWESOME vacation. I'm so glad to have spent it with her. :)

Marty, the bad part is always when vacation ends. Just last night I finally got my dishes done that have been sitting there since the campout... before the Chicago trip! What a relief!